Chapter 13

During lunch a group of new kids walked inside. There were eleven of them and they looked a couple years older than the rest. Among them they recognised the two that carried the medallions the day before.

"So many trashes" the guy in front commented to the one standing next to him just loud enough for them to hear. She was Sixtyfour, the one that was carrying the plaques the day before. She chuckled at the comment and looked around inspecting the surprised newcomers. Only the Elites didn't seem to care. "Wanna bet who will fail?"

"Look at that one, he looks like a toddler" another guy said pointing at the boy "Don't they have a height limit for new recruits?"

"Oh, this one looks more sturdy" one of them had approached the bulky kid.

"Oh, I remember him" Sixtyfour said. The bulky kid smiled awkwardly "He was the imbecile that didn't know how to read" the smile disappeared from his face. He clenched his fist and was about to get up but Leo's hand lightly pushed him back down. He had a wide smile on his face an he walked towards the new group.

"Hi guys, are you going to join us?"

"Seniors don't sit with trashes" the guy in the front said with hostility.

"Seniors? Oh, I think the commander mentioned something like that" he tilted his head and scratched his chin like he was trying to remember something.

"They are the failures from last year" Mika informed him with a careless tone without raising her eyes from her food. She appeared uninvolved despite her comment but her focus was on Leo's performance.

"That's right, the commander said that the losers from the previous year are going to join the next section. So, are You those losers?"

"You dare.." the new group looked furious.

"Hey, Twentyfour, how come they look weaker than you?" Leo interrupted him turning towards the bulky kid. He raised his shoulders with a smile back on his face.

"What do you think Thirteen?" Leo turned his head towards the boy. "Should we make a nickname for them?"

The boy looked confused so Mika kicked him under the table. "The Leftovers?" Thirteen mumbled.

"Perfect! So, senior leftovers, do you want Twentyfour to train you?" Leo smiled widely at the older kids that had turned red with rage.

"You little shits!" The guy in front took a step towards Leo but a sudden loud cracking noise stopped him. A jug had been shattered between them.

"You are loud, get out" the cold voice of a girl from the Elite's table stopped him. She was the one that always finished first in the races and on her expensive clothes were decorated with her family's crest of three spearheads connected in the middle.

The guy in charge of the new group was about to say something but Sixtyfour grabbed his arm and shook her head. He threw another angry glare at Leo and signaled the others to withdraw.

"If the rest of You make another disturbance, You are sleeping outside" the girl with the crest declared and Leo innocently raised his hands. He was not stupid to mess with a noble.

*

A ring of about 30 meters in diameter was in the middle of the building. On the side, a stage a few meters off the ground allowed the observers to watch what was happening below. For the ones that lived in the city, it reminded them of the fighting arenas in the outskirts where the rich came for entertainment and gambling.

They lined up according to Talin's instructions. Three groups of fifteen and facing them a group of eleven. Talin turned to face the three groups since the rest had already experienced what was coming.

"You started with 100, now there are 45 of you left. As I mentioned before, there is still a chance for you to join the training if you fail. In this section you will have to compete against people that have remained stagnant for a year. They have not received instructions or training for the past year so their development depends on the effort they have put in themselves.
For the next month, every three days they will fight for your spots. Each member of every group may be challenged once per day so the challengers will fight eleven people from each group.
If you lose, your position is stolen and you join the challengers. Defend a maximum of ten times and you proceed to the next level. Keep losing and try your chances with the new groups next year. Its up to you."

Talin picked up a metal ball off the ground. It was twice the size of his fist but he easily threw it in the middle of the ring. "The challenger attacks, the defender defends. The one that doesn't make contact with the ball for five minutes loses. We will start with the group that had the best time in the previous section. The rest move upstairs. Challengers, choose your representative"

The leader of the eleven walked forward. He spectated the Elite's group for a moment and then his eyes turned to Leo.

"Choose someone yourselves" he said, walked into the ring and sat down.

The girl with the crest on her clothes walked towards the ball while staring at her opponent. She lightly touched the ball with her foot.

"Begin" Talin signaled and everyone's attention heightened.

The girl clenched and fixed her posture prepared to defend, but her opponent was still sitting on the ground.

"Victory goes to the defender" Talin announced after five minutes passed.

The girl with the crest immediately stepped in front of her opponent and grabbing him by his collar, she forced him to stand on his feet.

"Are you making fun of me lowborn?"

"I wouldn't dare" he smirked.

"Tsk" she pushed him back and walked away in anger.

The leader raised his shoulders and followed her to the stage.

"Next" Talin announced and Sixtyfour walked to the ring, sat down and smiled.

"Next" One by one the eleven challengers walked into the ring and just sat down until the five minutes passed.