CHAPTER 3: A THUNDEROUS SOUND

4:55 PM SEPTEMBER 21ST 2022

A restaurant ten minutes away.

"Em... Jeong op-pa, you don't have to do this... this is too much for me."

Sung Iseul nervously said, when she saw the massive bowl of Bibimbap with two boiled eggs that Jeong ordered. Though a bowl of Bibimbap is not an expensive meal to many. But to Sung Iseul it was. She was still trying to wrap her head around why Jeong was being so nice to her, even though she had no way of repaying the kindness.

"You don't need to be reserved... think of this as a thank-you gift."

After speaking, Jeong turned his gaze toward his bowl of Bibimbap, he picks up the chopstick beside the bowl and ate the Bibimbap with gusto. Though he told her not to be reserved, he was actually the one who could not wait to eat.

"A- thank you gift...?"

Sung Iseul had a confused expression. She could not understand why Jeong Op-pa would thank her. Instead, it was she who should thank him. She thought in her mind with a peering expression.

"But... but Jeong op-pa... I haven't done anything for you... why are you being nice to me?"

Iseul questioned Jeong's motive, she knew that Jeong had a reason for being nice to her, but since she didn't know the reason, she became cautious of him. She stared at Jeong, nervously waiting for an answer.

"..."

While Iseul waited for an answer, Jeong was so focused on his meal that he never heard a word Iseul said. The only thing in his sight was the untouched food in front of him. He had the thought of eating Iseul's meal too, because he was still starving. After all, he has been starving for what almost seemed like weeks in the weird dream he had. But he could not be so shameful to ask for her food.

After not receiving a reply from Jeong, Sung Iseul pondered in her mind. And after a while, she shook her head from side to side. "Jeong Op-pa is not that type of person." She thought in her mind. Denying the idea that Jeong had an ulterior motive for being nice to her.

*Flick*

"Ouch...!!"

Iseul felt a sharp pain in her forehead. She looks up to meet Jeong's gaze.

"What are you thinking so hard about? Your food is about to turn cold." Jeong asked.

"Ah, Um - Um, I'm Sorry..."

Iseul apologized. With a sad expression, she could not believe that she was doubting someone so nice to remind her to eat her food before it went cold. Iseul could not help but admire Jeong more.

"Huh? Why is she making that expression? Did I hit her too hard?" Jeong thought in his mind.

Jeong could not watch Iseul waste the food he bought for her with his last money. He was strapped for cash and hungry, tempted by the thought of eating Iseul's food. And the only way to remove such thought was if the food was gone. That was the only reason he reminded her to eat.

While Jeong watched Sung Iseul eat, he thought about how he acted all cool when he quit his job, knowing that he had no money and felt stupid, but he did not regret what he did. "... guess I have to search for a new job tomorrow." He thought in his mind as he ate the remaining food left in his bowl.

"Oi...! San Jum, increase the T. v volume. Something big is happening."

An old man in a yellow shirt and black shorts spoke in a loud voice at the young man wearing the restaurant apron. His words attracted the attention of everyone in the restaurant. Curious about what he was watching, they stopped eating and turned their gaze towards the T. V hung on the wall.