11 | THE WHITE DEATH

YOU COULD START A LITTLE FAMILY OF ASSASSINS WITH TANGERINE.

Tangerine hit the water hard, his body stinging from the impact

Tangerine hit the water hard, his body stinging from the impact. It took a moment to reorient himself and swim upward, gasping and sputtering as he broke the surface. He looked up, squinting in the bright sunlight, watching as the bullet train disappeared from sight.

Then the sounds of others in the water reached his ears, calling his attention. He turned and saw Lemon in the lake as well, panting heavily while patting his body, checking for injuries.

"I'm alive!" he exclaimed. Then Lemon spotted Tangerine wading toward him in the water. "We're alive! We're ali—"

He cut himself off when a third person broke the surface. It was the man Lemon tackled, throwing them both off the train. The killer hadn't lost his sword either, which he was charging at him with.

"Oh, fuck me. Fuck me," Lemon muttered, moving away as fast as he could. Then his foot knocked into something which he reached for blindly. Thankfully, he pulled up a small machine gun. He smacked it a few times, getting some of the water out of his system.

"Fuckin' shoot him, Lemon!" Tangerine shouted, further away from the two and without a weapon.

"Come on, you fucker," Lemon muttered, continuing to hit the gun. Then he turned around and pulled the trigger, thankful when a series of bullets fired right into his chest. "Fuck you!"

With their only enemy taken care of, the twins tiredly stomped to the shore, both soaked to the bone. Tangerine was shaking, glaring in the direction that the train went as they moved toward the road.

"Oh, bruv, did you jump off when you saw me fall?" Lemon asked, letting out an 'aw' and touching his chest.

"That goddamn traitorous fuckin' psycho bitch pushed me off the train!" he spat, slicking his hair back as he swore up and down, cursing ever meeting Kliment Petrova.

"Poppet?" he questioned, earning a grunt of confirmation from him. "Pushed you off the train? For what?"

"I'll tell you what!" he shouted. "She was all fuckin' talk about standing up to the White Death. Flipped like a coin, she did. Was showing off to Daddy with a gun to my head before getting shit ideas about squashing me like a bug!"

Lemon peered at him, trying to picture the chaos that must have led to all that. "I mean, she tried to kill you, but because he made her try to kill you. If she saw the water, maybe she thought you'd have a better chance of livin'. Her pops is a right scary bloke, after all."

Tangerine's anger faltered, letting himself think clearly for half a second as they reached the empty roadside. Kliment had flinched each time she pulled the trigger on him — surely, she didn't want him dead. But he'd gone and left the driver car against her orders. She wasn't given much of a choice because of it.