Chapter 11

Ethan quickly realised that the group were not returning to the camp that they had left.

"It's not safe" Corey told them all as he led the bunch off the trail and through the unknown forest.

"It's too close to the edge of the cliff" he continued, pulling a branch from a tree to prevent it smacking Matthew who was walking absentmindedly behind him.

"If this rain keeps up, we'll find ourselves sliding over the edge".

Ethan had never seen rain as heavy as the rain they were currently experiencing. Every inch of his body had been completely drenched and with each step forward, an audible squelch sounded. The mud beneath them had been replaced with something that resembled thick, brown soup and every few minutes, another howl of thunder bellowed overhead.

Ross looked even more miserable than Ethan felt. His large, muscular frame was far from appropriate for this level of exertion and as he grabbed a tree to prevent him falling backwards for the tenth time, he cursed loudly to himself.

"Need a hand?" Ethan asked, still trailing at the back.

Ross glared at him before smirking.

"Not now that I know where that hand has been" he bit and continued sliding through the forest.

Ethan felt his face turn red as he balled his fists and fantasised over what he'd love to do to Ross, and it would start with a punch into the back of his thick head.

After what seemed like hours, Corey eventually turned to face the exhausted group.

"This looks okay" he said, looking around the small clearing that wasn't entirely unlike the one from the original camp.

The main difference now was that there was no beautiful scenery surrounding them, and instead, a vast and endless army of trees.

"Ethan, can I have a word?" Corey called as the others began setting up the camp.

Ethan had no desire to talk to Corey after what he had said earlier, but he followed him anyway until they were alone.

"Listen Ethan" he said as they stood before each other "I'm sorry about this morning, I was just worried and it spilled out".

Ethan didn't respond, and stood there silently.

"It was a dick move, I know" Corey continued "I just... And then with Matthew..."

"What do you mean 'with Matthew' Ethan barked instantly.

"Just that..."

"What, you think I did something with Matthew?" He continued, his face scrunched with anger.

"I told you already" he added "I'm not fucking gay!"

"Dude, relax" Corey said, looking confused "I was just gonna' say, with Matthew I was angry because he was supposed to be looking after you".

Ethan felt a wave of embarrassment wash over him as he realised that he had indeed, jumped the gun.

"Oh, yeah, right" he replied awkwardly and could feel Corey's eyes on him.

"So... Do you accept my apology?" Corey grinned and Ethan shrugged.

"Or is there anything I can do to sweeten the deal?"

Ethan knew exactly what he meant, and for a split second he considered it, but he shook his head.

"I don't know how many times I have to tell you" he sighed "I'm not gay. What happened the other night, it was... It was a mistake"