007

As I continued to slowly come out of my deep sleep, I could hear the sound of chopping from behind me.

"We must hunt this demon. Trap him. kill him." I hear my mother say as she lets out heavy sighs

"We gotta be smart. We hit Quaritch, and then they're gonna know where we are, and they're gonna come here with everything they've got." I heard father say. I'm still very tired and can feel myself falling back into a deep sleep. I haven't been getting as much rest as I've needed recently. I've been too scared to dream...scared of what I'll see, but I guess now my body has forced it upon me.

my mother huffs. "Then what is our plan?" I hear her say before I fully drift away.

~

Tsireya, Neteyam, Roxto, Ao'nung, and I all look onward as Lo'ak swims into the mouth of Payakan. A couple more days passed since Tonowari's warnings, and Lo'ak dragged us all out to sea to show us that Payakan meant no harm. Although, I have no idea what he was trying to prove by swimming to the back of Payakan's throat.

I see Neteyam about to move forward to retrieve Lo'ak before Tsireya stops him.

~

We all walk towards the huts as Tonowari and Ronal had quickly learned of Lo'ak's interaction with Payakan.

Ronal is pushing Lo'ak into her's and Tonowari's hut as they look down on him. I quickly follow behind to then fall in line to stand between Neteyam and Ao'nung. It felt oddly familiar to the line that my father would place us in when we were getting scolded by him.

"You allowed this. You allowed him to bond with the outcast." Ronal exclaimed as she paced back and forth speaking to her two children, ending the sentence, pointing at Lo'ak as she looks angrily toward Tsireya.

Tonowari then steps forward to look at Tsireya soon after Ronal finishes.

"Tsireya," Tonowari calls his daughter's name in a stern voice.

Tsireya then takes in a sharp breath before looking up at her father.

"You disappoint me, daughter," Tonowari says. I felt bad for Tsireya. I too, knew what it was like to be at the mercy of a father's harsh words.

"And you...Son of a great warrior." Tonowari says as he points to my father who is fast approaching behind us with mother in tow. "who has been taught better." Tonowari finishes as he looks back at Lo'ak.

"Payakan saved my life, sir. You don't know him." Lo'ak says in return.

"Lo'ak...please. Don't..." I say to him quietly.

"Sit," Tonowari says while facing Lo'ak. Lo'ak does what he says as he too squats down. His tone exuded authority, to the point I found myself falling to my knees too, obeying his order.
Tonowari then quickly turned toward Ao'nung, Tsireya, and Neteyam who still remained upright.

"Sit down!" He yelled, everyone else quickly kneeled. He then started breathing in strongly to push it back out into the air with his hands in a quick motion before he spoke.

"Hear my words, boy. In the days of the first songs, the tulkuns fought among themselves...for territory and revenge. But they came to believe that killing, no matter how justified, Only brings more killing. So, killing was forbidden. This is the tulkun way. Payakan is a killer and so...he is outcast." Tonowari finishes.