[02 - "Huh?"]

"W-wait, catch a tiger?" You were confused.

Why did you agree to tag along? To an abandoned warehouse?

You sigh, now sitting next to Dazai as he reads his book, A Complete Guide to Suicide.

Clatter...

"What was that? I-I think it's the tiger! It's here for me!" Atsushi exclaims.

"No, that was only the wind knocking down some bottles." Dazai continues to sit and read his book, but he moves closer to you. Close enough that your bodies were touching.

You didn't really enjoy physical contact, but the warmth of his body was just too welcoming. It reminded you of your days with your father, Vanitas of the blue moon. Not to be mistaken for your adoptive brother, Vanitas, who wasn't a vampire.

Oh how you wish you could have frozen time back then. Back when you and Vanitas were happy.

But then-

"Well, the tiger should show up anytime now." Dazai closes his book and jumps from the crate, leaving a cold emptiness where his warmth once was.

Atsushi starts to panic. He wasn't ready to face that tiger!

"You know, your story never really added up. Why would an orphanage lay off one or two kids because they didn't have enough food or money? It wouldn't help their financial situation at all. So, why would they kick you out? The answer is obvious." Dazai puts his book in his pocket, and glowing blue rings start to appear around Atsushi.

"A malnomen..? Is he a vampire? No... I know a vampire when I see one. The book will have no effect on him." Your nails become as sharp as blades. You were ready to fight.

Unbeknownst to you, Dazai overheard your little mumbling. He would have to keep an eye on you until he finds out.

Meanwhile, Atsushi has fully morphed into a tiger. So this is what Dazai meant by catching a tiger? Both you and the tall brunette dodge the white tiger in perfect harmony. As you slowly get backed into a corner, you suddenly lose focus and get hit by Atsushi.

"Fuck." You curse to yourself as you use your nails to yourself as you slide on the floor, but you end up hitting a wall.

Not like it mattered when Dazai was here, though. He would make sure you were safe no matter what.

As Dazai activates his ability, the same blue rings of light appear, you always wondered what that was about. Maybe it had something to do with altering the world formula? Never mind.

Atsushi falls onto Dazai's chest before being pushed off and into your arms instead.

"I'm not into men in that way." He says, unknowing of you catching the boy before he would fall.

"OI, YOU WASTE OF BANDAGES! WHAT HAPPENED HERE?" A tall shadow appears, but it was not just any shadow. It was the shadow of Kunikida.

"Oh, you're late! I've already captured the tiger." Dazai says, his voice far too casual for the mood.

"What, it's this boy?" The blonde stares at the tiger boy.

"He has the ability to transform into a tiger." Dazai's smile drops for a moment to emphasize his seriousness on the matter.

"You made me worried! What is with this note anyway? I even brought along people!" Kunikida shoves the note into Dazai as more people come out of the shadows.

Yosano, Kenji, and Ranpo were here.

"Wait, before you come at me, not only was this a way for me to find a promising new recruit, but it was also a very nice orientation test for our dearest [Y/n] here! I'd say she's fully qualified to be a member of our agency." Dazai lazily smiles at Kunikida as he gestures to Atsushi, then hugs you. This ticked off most of the other ADA members in the warehouse.

"Well, I guess that's reason enough. And before I forget, [Y/n], what's the name of your ability? I know you have one, but we need to know as part of our database." The blonde says.

You widen your eyes a bit. Your ability? You didn't have one, you were just a vampire. What could you call your ability?

"Hm, I never named my ability. But I guess... We could call it Orbs of a Blue Moon? It gives me greater strength and it allows me to turn my nails into blades, and I was born under a blue moon, so it only makes sense." You put a finger on your chin in thought, then give a warm smile.

"Well, what are we going to do about Atsushi now? He didn't exactly know it was him, did he?" Yosano points to the white-haired boy.

"That's right. What are your thoughts, Dazai? The ward has identified him as a major threat." Ah, this is what you get for never watching the news. The tiger was a major threat? You never heard of it until the walk to the warehouse.

"I've already made a decision." Dazai says, totally not being as vague as ever.

"Wake up, boy!" Dazai yells, which makes Atsushi stir in your arms.

"Huh? [Y/n]? Why are you holding me?" He asks as you nudge him to his feet with a tiny smile.

"Atsushi. Do you really not remember anything from when you were transformed?" Dazai calls.

He turns his head.

"What are you talking about?" Confusion spread over Atsushi's face.

"Oh. Your right hand's still there." Dazai points at the fuzzy, cat-like arm replacing the tiger-boy's arm. Atsushi raises his right arm to see a tiger-like patterning and claws on his limb.

"EEEEEEEEH?! WHAT? WHAT IS THIS? GET IT OFF!" He panics, but you thought it was quite cute.

You couldn't help but let out a small laugh.

"Nakajima Atsushi!" Dazai yells, his voice colder than before.

"You'll become one of us. From this day forth, you will be a part of the agency."

"Huh?"

A/n

I skipped so much dialogue because I'm lazy and didn't want this to be an exact copy of the anime or manga. Also happy kind of late lunar new year to those who celebrate it!

1.25.23