[04 - And That Concludes the Exam]

After sending Mary back to her home at around 6 AM, you finally were able to sleep.

Until your alarm at 7:30 AM.

You were starting to think you had insomnia, with how little sleep you're getting lately.

But it doesn't bother you, because you have your one and only true love in this world, caffeine.

Oh, right. You were also starving because you still hadn't eaten anything.

How fun.

After that, you'd just chill until it's time for Dazai to make a phone call to Atsushi, then you'll meet up with them along with Kunikida.

You might as well read a book.

What did you read, you ask?

Well, [fave. book], obviously.

It was time for Atsushi's entrance exam.

Were you nervous?

Kind of, but not really.

Soon enough, you got a message.

Ping!

It was Kunikida. Time to head out and cause some chaos then!

"I'm flabbergasted! Who knew you were so good at impressions?" The voice of Dazai resonates through the streets, cultivating weird looks from passersby.

As you wait for Kunikida to stop yelling at Dazai, you run and collide into Dazai, by accident. You actually meant to just stop before you could collide.

"Haah, s-sorry Dazai!" You try to add small breathers in between your words to make your act more believable, and you messed up your hair for this, so your efforts better not be wasted.

"Slow down [Y/n], what's happening?" Kunikida asks.

"Well you see, there's a bomber threatening the agency!" You put a finger on your cheek.

"HAAAAAAH?!"

"Go up the stairs, if we use the elevator the bomber will see us." You give a tone of urgency to try and make Atsushi stressed.

Yeah, that's right. Your job is to put the lil tiger boy under as much pressure as possible. And honestly, it's kind of fun.

You ascend the stairs and see the 'bomber'. It was a young boy with orange hair. Tanizaki was of course the person acting out the role of perpetrator, and his sister, Naomi, playing as the 'hostage'.

Once you had gotten yourself hidden behind a desk, you stared at the three men beside you.

"We need to find a way to distract him and turn off the timer. Any ideas?" You stare into each of their eyes one by one as you see their faces morph into one of deep thought.

"Alright! One of us has to go out and distract the guy and save the hostage. But who will it be?" Dazai looks at you, but you immediately shake your head, and Atsushi quickly mirrors your action as well when the brunette looks to him instead.

"Well then, it's just us. Why don't we settle this like we used to?" Dazai raises his hand in a very anime-like style, and Kunikida does the same.

Hup!

Ah yes, they were laying rock paper scissors again. It's not to be unexpected that they use this method often, with all the disagreements they seem to have.

It made you miss your brother again...

Shit.

Don't think about that right now, you have other matters to tend to rather than sulk and complain about the past.

By the time you snap back to reality and out of your little mind domain, as you call them, Kunikida was on the desk in front of you and a gun pointed at him.

And then, somehow, Atsushi is out in the middle of the room, courtesy of Dazai.

"S-stop doing this!" He says, his entire body visibly shaking from what you assume is fear, or just some really good acting skills.

"What? Who are you?" The 'bomber' says.

"I'm just a newspaper seller, I happened to see what was happening and..." He pauses

"I HAD TO STOP YOU!" Oh great. Now he's scared and yelling.

"There is so much more to live for... Like good food!" At this point you think Tanizaki is more scared.

"I mean, who am I to talk? I'm just a poor news seller, I can't afford that kind of stuff! I can barely afford 2 meals a day! If only I could make more money... Oh, I know! Why don't we look for jobs together." Atsushi was now right in the poor ginger's face.

"... What the fu-"

"KUNIKIDA, NOW!" Dazai yells from his hiding spot.

"Three steps ahead of you!" Using his ability, Doppo Poet, Kunikida summons a grapple gun and shoots at Tanizaki, who immediately presses the button and the timer on the bomb immediately starts to tick down.

25.

Atsushi rushes to the bomb.

20.

He pushes Naomi to Dazai.

15.

He covers the bomb with his body.

10.

Everyone stares in shock at his selflessness.

5.

The boy prepares for the worst.

0.

But it doesn't come.

And that concludes the exam.

A/n

Woo chapter 4 done! This took way too long and I apologize to you all, it's also short. I just procrastinated on this whenever I could have done some writing and then school and shit. I'm also moving in a few months and my house is getting listed soon, which means that all of my stuff has been either shoved into a closet or into the storage room of my basement, which gave me a little panic to say the least.

See you in the next chapter!

2.14.23