[07 - The Sweet Taste of Blood]

A/n: Before you read, I just want to give a shout out to the cinnamon coffee cake muffin (from Trader Joe's) I had this morning. It gave me the inspiration to write this chapter and one for my other book as well. It was also delicious.

"Hey, father... Younger brother says it's bad to like blood." You say gloomily, your small body hiding in the folds of Luna's cloak.

"Oh, dearest [Y/n]... your brother doesn't know anything besides what the church told him. Don't take his words to heart." Luna- the vampire of the blue moon- pats your head and speaks in a soothing manner that could make any person immediately calm down.

"Sometimes the scent of blood is overwhelming. Sometimes... I can't hold back my urge." Your voice shakes slightly, as if guilty of something.

"It'll be alright, I know someday you will learn to control it."

Your mind spins and your ears block out all sounds, all you see is red.

Blood...

Isn't it so enticing? You just want to... drain it all out of the human's veins.

You clench your fists and hold yourself back.

Remember.

Close your eyes. Deep breath in, deep breath out.

"Calm down, [Y/n]." You whisper to yourself.

Slowly but surely, the red tinting your vision does away and you're not dizzy anymore.

Maybe Luna was right.

Maybe you could control it.

Soon after, the ringing in your ears fades to reveal Atsushi.

Standing on the side of a building.

What the fuck.

Atsushi lunges at Akutagawa, barely missing him by a hair.

There was yelling, but you couldn't seem to make out the words as the sound of fighting drowned it out.

Then Dazai shows up.

Of course he did.

Stupid ex-mafia bastard.

He neutralizes their abilities, successfully ending the fight right there.

After that extravagant entrance by Dazai, you hop up from your little hiding spot on a rooftop and make your way towards the boys.

You felt dizzy from the strong scent of blood as you neared closer. You didn't even get to the alleyway, you were clutching the side of the building next to you, you were trying not to give in and go on a rampage.

"No... I can't..." You clamped a hand over your mouth to stop yourself even further. You can't let them know you were a vampire. If they found out, they'll send you to the chasseurs and you'll be executed.

You were scared.

Scared that you'd lose your friends.

With a strong sense of resilience building in you, you manage to calm yourself down. You still left the urge in the back of your head, like an itch you couldn't reach.

You stand up straight and decide it wasn't worth it to go over there and risk your life just because you wanted to help someone.

You heard footsteps coming closer to you, maybe it was Dazai along with Atsushi?

"[Y/n]? What are you doing here? By the gods, you look sick." It was Dazai, carrying an unconscious Atsushi in his arms. He looked... Concerned for you? You couldn't tell, your mind was still kind of fuzzy.

"Dazai-" God. The scent was getting too much. You wanted blood so badly... "Shit, uh..." Deep breaths, deep breaths [Name]. You can do this.

"Sorry. I'm not a fan of blood." You grimace to pull off the act.

"I can see that." He nods. "Let's go back to the agency to get little Atsushi patched up, alright?"
You just weakly smile and nod in response.

A/n

So like I did say I would try my best... I'm out of practice with writing so if the quality of my story goes down, that's why.

Also, I've been playing Honkai: Star Rail and I might make a book on that, maybe.

I have so many books I want to just write and publish ahhh 😭

See you in the next chapter!

7.11.23