[05 - Well, Great. Now You're Gonna Have Guests Over.]

"ATSUSHI YOU IDIOT! THERE WERE SO MANY MORE OPTIONS THAN USING YOUR BODY AS A SHIELD AND COVERING THE EXPLOSIVE, even if it was fake..." You yell, but your words melt into a mumble so as to not make a scene.

"I'm really sorry, [Y/n]. I just didn't know what to do-"

"No, no. Don't apologize. It was just a test after all." You wave a hand dismissively.

"Well, now I need to take my leave. Urgent business." You walk through the door while Kunikida yells at you to come and help clean up all of the books and other office stationery scattered across the floor. You ignore him though.

As you step outside the building, you look at the contact saved on your phone.

Dominique is what it read, she said to call her whenever you were free since she had a special announcement, though you worry about the time difference. It was four hours, if you recall correctly.

But then again, Domi always seemed to be awake when you needed her.

You press the call button.

Ring...

Ring...

Ring...

"Hey! Dominique speaking. So, [N/n]. Let me tell you of the special surprise I have in store for you." Domi's silky voice could be heard through the phone speakers.

"Wow, not even small talk? I guess you are really excited then." You say with amusement.

"Alright, alright, enough of that. I'll just cut straight to the chase. No beating around the bush here!" Anticipation arose, feeling like a light tingling sensation through your whole body as your close friend tells you this surprise she had ready for you.

"Me and Jeanne will be coming to Japan!" You choke on air.

"WHAT."

By the time you enter the building again, you see Tanizaki apologizing to Atsushi for being rude. You always felt the kid was good.

You linger by the entrance of the Cafe until you could find the perfect time to slide in, and then they start to talk about past jobs.

Maybe you should join in to see Atsushi's shocked face after hearing Kunikida was a math teacher. Oh, you can already see the look of shock on his face.

Yep. You were going in now.

"Sorry about that, I had an important phone call to take." You say as you enter the cafe.

"It's fine, the cleanup wasn't that bad anyway." Atsushi spoke for all of the people in the room. Picking up a few books and pencils wasn't that bad compared to trying to clean up the debris of a wall.

"Oh, alright then." You shrug.

"I may have overheard something about former jobs though, so let's just call me intrigued for now." Mischief dances in your tone when you speak, which Atsushi doesn't pick up, while Dazai seems to have heard it and knows what you came here to witness.

"Ah, right. My guess is Kunikida was a civil servant, with the way he talks and all." The white-haired boy points out.

"Close, but not quite. You see, our dearest Kunikida here was a math teacher!" Dazai says with enthusiasm, also awaiting the amusement about to unfold.

"EEEEH? Well, it does make sense..." Atsushi mutters.

"Well, then. What about me?" You point to yourself. Your former job was quite simple.

"Hm... perhaps, were you an artist? Or a writer? I see you with that blue book in your bag all the time, but it's a very far stretch." Wow. He caught on to a lot more than you thought he did, impressive.

"...Not even close!" You say with a sly smile.

"Huh." He looks at you with surprise.

"I was, in fact, a doctor's assistant. Though I only specialized in a certain disease." You were not to be mistaken for a doctor like Yosano. You were a vampire doctor, but nobody here even knew they existed, or that one was in front of them right now.

Little did you know your 'ability' would soon be revealed to be something a lot more complicated and powerful than you originally disclosed.

"What absolute Dazai next?" Tanizaki points to the tall man in the beige coat, who was attempting to flirt with the waitress.

Maybe you should just slip out now. According to Dominique, they were arriving in two days.

Thanks for the heads up, Domi. Veeeery helpful. Totally.

After an hour or two of hard work, your apartment was finally guest-worthy. Though your fridge still only contained a carton of milk and an orange, that was a journey for a different day.

Well, great. Now you're gonna have guests over.

A/n

I promised to get a chapter out soon, didn't I? Consider this promise fulfilled then :) Unfortunately it's really short. I don't really know what else to say here so,

I'll see you in the next chapter!

3.1.23