Chapter 01

2 MONTHS AGO

"Hey! Not fair! You must tell me who he is! I won't stop bothering you until you tell me," Alex insisted, a playful smirk playing on her lips.

No matter how hard I tried, I was never able to keep anything from her. She could read me like an open book.

"Fine, I'll tell you. But you must promise not to tell anyone," I sighed.

"My lips are sealed. Now, tell me!" she exclaimed happily.

"Okay, okay! Do you remember Jacob from our history class?" I told her, as we were walking towards her house.

Yeah, of course I do. Wasn't he the quiet guy? The one that was practically invisible?" she inquired, curiosity evident on her face.

"Yes, exactly that one. He texted me the other day, asking if I wanted to meet for coffee," I said smiling at the fact.

It was one of my happiest days.

"No way! Are you serious? That's amazing babe, I'm so happy for you!" Alex squealed, reaching over to hug me.

"Thanks Alex!" I hugged her back.

We were now standing on the sidewalk, waiting patiently to cross the street and go to her house.

"Tell me more! What happened? Did you go with him?" she rambled on excitedly.

I just chuckled at her enthusiasm. She was awfully sweet.

"One thing at a time Lex. Yes, I did go with him, and we had a really good time. He's a cool guy," I answered with a smile.

We started crossing the street, when suddenly I saw a car speeding towards our way, and I quickly pulled myself back on the sidewalk.

I tried to catch my breath, and when I did, I looked up to find Alex laying in the middle of the street, blood covering her face and arms.

"ALEX! NO!" I shouted, rushing to her side.

I carefully wrapped my arms around her head and lifted her slowly.

"Alex, can you hear me? Alex? Please come back to me," I yelled trying to get her to wake up, but to no avail.

Tears started to fall and I let them.

Couple of minutes later, I heard commotion, and I turned my head to see the whole neighborhood gathered around us now.

"What the hell happened here?!" a man asked.

"Are you okay? Are you hurt?" a woman asked this time.

At that moment, I couldn't hear any of them. I had tuned them out and my attention was on Alex. I continuously tried to make her hear me, but it was worthless.

A hold on my shoulder brought me back to reality, and I looked up to see a man looking down at me worriedly.

"Hey, you need any help?" he softly asked.

Finding the courage to utter words, I said, "Yeah, please call an ambulance, she needs help. Now,"

The man nodded and hurriedly called for help.

In less than ten minutes, the ambulance arrived, and paramedics rushed to Alex.

You can step back now miss. We have it covered now," A female paramedic told me and guided me to an ambulance to get checked for any injuries.

"Is she going to be alright?" I asked her almost immediately.

She looked at me with a look of sadness and empathy at the same time.