chapter 02

LILA

The sun had fully risen, and there was bright sunlight coming through my blinds. I was surprised that I had managed to fall back asleep. My nightmares make it very hard for me, so me, managing to fall back asleep is a miracle.

I checked my phone and the time read 9:30. Thank God it was Saturday. I was in no mood to go to school.

Deciding to be more productive, I got up and headed to my bathroom for a shower. I desperately needed one.

After I was done, I returned to my room, changing into some shorts and an oversized t-shirt. Pulling my hair into a bun, I headed downstairs for breakfast.

"Morning honey. Did you sleep well?" My mother greeted me, once I stepped into the kitchen.

Although she knew about my sleeping difficulty, she still made sure to ask me how I slept and check in on me. I appreciated it deeply to be honest.

"Morning mom. I tried to, but I woke up in the middle of the night again. Good thing is that I managed to fall back asleep," I told her with a faint smile.

She gave me a sympathetic look before saying, "I'm sorry to hear that honey. I know it's hard, but you'll get through this. I'm proud of you for falling back asleep today," she hugged me tightly.

Now, I know what you might think. That someone being proud of me for managing to sleep must be stupid, but in my case it's a big deal.

When my insomnia first started, it was very bad. There were many nights where I wouldn't sleep at all, and the worst thing was that I never felt tired enough.

Soon enough, it started affecting my well-being. Due to my lack of sleep, I was always tired, and I didn't have the energy for anything. You can just say that I was completely drained.

But, thanks to the pills that Dr. Ryan prescribed me, it's not that bad anymore. I mean, I still have sleepless nights, but at least now, I can handle it.

"Thanks mom. I'm proud of myself as well. It's been a long time since I woke up feeling relaxed." I smiled at her, hugging her back.

She nodded and started preparing breakfast.

"By the way, where's dad?" I asked, noticing my dad's absence.

"Oh, he just went for a run, but he'll be back soon," my mom said, while cutting some fresh fruits into a bowl.

"Okay then. What's for breakfast?" I asked changing the subject.

My mother smiled brightly, putting a plate of waffles and a fresh bowl of berries right in front of me. "Your favorite exotic waffles, with an extra shot of love,"

I chuckled at her. "Thanks mom, this is exactly what I needed," I smiled before taking a huge bite from my waffles.

"You're welcome honey. I love you," she placed a kiss on my forehead.

"Love you too,"

"Hey! Did you start breakfast without me?" my dad exclaimed from behind me looking hurt.

Me and my mom laughed at him, while he gave us the stink eye.

"Oh, don't be bitter. There's plenty here for you honey," my mom said and kissed him.

"Okay gross! Can you please get a room? I'm still eating here," I exclaimed making gag faces.

My parents laughed and kissed once more just to spite me.

"Don't be jealous honey. You'll get this one day too," my dad said amusedly.

"Oh, come on, as if. Who said I was jealous? I'm just trying to stop you from traumatizing me," I replied grossed out.