𝟏| 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝 𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐨𝐨𝐫𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐩

CHAPTER ONE:

FOUND ON THE DOORSTEP

WESTCHESTER, NEW YORK, 1956

IT WAS DARK outside in Westchester, New York as the crickets could be seen hiding within the tall grass and the many bushes all around. The trees stood tall like they had been ever since they had started to grow many years and years ago, having been planted in the ground a long time ago.

The wind occasionally blew by, causing the leaves planted on the branches of the trees and the tall grass to move in the direction it was blowing in. The civilians of the country could be seen walking through the streets, others driving in their vehicles as they tried to get home to their families after a day of work.

The Xavier household stood tall and proud like it had been ever since it had been built many, many years ago for the Xavier family. One vehicle could be seen parked outside of the large mansion as only two people could be seen inside of the house. Charles Xavier found himself sitting at his desk, a writing utensil in his hand as he wrote down something.

Just a couple feet away from him, Raven Darkholme was laying on the sofa in his office with the fireplace on as she found her yellow eyes reading the words on the book she was currently reading as it sat in her blue hands. Soft music could be heard from the record player just near the window of the office, adding to the crackling of fire that was coming from the fireplace. The moonlight shined through the glass windows and on the two adults who considered each other as siblings.

As they sat their calmly in a silence, the sound of the doorbell ringing had them both looking up in confusion. Raven sits up from her laying position, placing the book down without even saving her page as she looks to her brother figure, who was slowly taking off his reading glasses, brows furrowed deeply.

"Are you expecting someone?" Raven asks.

Charles shakes his head. "No, I'm not. Are you?"

Raven raises a brow. "You really think someone would come to see me?"

The brunette man doesn't respond as he only stands up to his feet, making his way to the front door of his mansion. Raven was following after him, turning herself to look like everyone else with her hair now blonde instead of a red-ish color and her skin white instead of blue.

When he reached the door, Charles grabbed ahold of the doorknob and twisted it open, peaking outside into the nighttime air to see no one was around, making him wonder who was exactly at his door and why weren't they currently standing in front of him just when a gargle type of sound filled his eardrums.

Peaking over his shoulder, Raven looks down before her eyes widen at the sight of an infant laying in a box just as Charles feet. After hearing the gargle and the woman gasp, the brunette looks down to see the baby laying there with nothing wrapped around it as the infant laid in the box.

Exchanging a glance with Raven, Charles bends down and picks the baby up by her armpits as he looks her over. Her skin was cold, almost freezing since it was a cold month out in their hometown. As he looked the infant over, he noticed that it was a girl and not a boy as he moved to hold her against his chest.

"Who would leave a baby at a strangers doorstep?" Charles breathes out in question.

"There's something else." Raven points out as she bends down, grabbing a small piece of paper. "It's a note. To you."

"What does it say?" Charles questions.

"'Dear Charles, you may not remember me, but this baby is yours. I didn't find out until a couple months after our night together, but I hadn't been with anyone ever since, so it's no doubt she's yours. I'm sorry, but I can't take care of her. I have my whole life ahead of me, and I don't have time for a baby. I didn't want to give her away to a stranger, so I brought her to you. Her name's Y/n. Please, take care of her'." Raven reads, both of them processing the news. "So, this baby is yours? Who's the mom?"

Charles sighs, closing his eyes. "I thought we were careful. Raven, hold her for a second. I'm gonna grab her a blanket."

As she drops the note and turned back to her blue self, Raven reluctantly took the infant into her arms when Charles handed Y/n to her before walking off to grab a blanket for his daughter. Finding it awkward as she could hear little noises coming from Y/n that would make her coo at the infant, Raven slowly looks down to see the baby's eyes were slowly opening and she felt herself freeze when her yellow eyes met the infant's e/c ones. She found herself expecting for Y/n to cry at the sight of her appearance, but the baby only smiled a toothless grin.

This clearly seemed to surprise the woman as she blinks a couple times before slowly smiling back just when Charles was walking back towards them. The man wrapped the blanket he had gotten around his daughter's cold body as he took her back in his arms, staring down at her. Raven watches as he seems to be thinking for a moment before rocking her gently back and forth as they moved back into his study with Raven following behind him, feeling herself smile when she saw how gentle he was being with his daughter.

"What are you gonna do with her?" Raven speaks up, breaking the silence after a couple seconds.

Charles doesn't answer right away, his eyes continuing to stare down at his daughter as he moves to the fireplace in hopes of getting her freezing cold body more warm when she let out a squeaky sneeze that he couldn't help but find adorable. He sat down on the stool in front of the fireplace, moving a bit of the blanket out of the way to make eye contact with the infant, feeling his heart swell when she smiled at him.

"She's staying here." Charles eventually replies, leaning close to press a kiss to the infant's head. "I'll make sure you are loved everyday of your life, Y/n. I will love you for the rest of my days."

As he whispered that to her, even knowing that she wouldn't be able to understand him, he sat back up a bit to look down at her as Raven watched them with a small smile. While that was happening, both adults silently vowed to protect her with their lives.