Chapter 1 - Starlight Slumber

Colorful music and loud lights were the embodiment of the life that bustled through the streets of Sun City. Each new and enticing sound was accompanied by its own unique show of whatever new performance was held every weekend night, and for tonight's event, everything was perfect.

Almost perfect.

"Welcome to the 19th Annual Starlight Symphony, lemme hear some noise from Sun City!"

The crowd roared with applause, their movements resembling a rough yet unified wave of waving hands and jumping bodies. Their flags sailed against the midnight breeze as the stage lights illuminated the bright face of the short-statured host and face of the Sun City Council, Mayor Humbrid.

"Thank you! Thank you all! I must say–simmer down now," he hushed into the microphone, the noise from the crowd gradually dying down with each sway of his hand. In this moment of peace, all heads turned to what should be the most riveting event of the year, the usual sunglasses, headphones, and wide-brimmed hats tossed aside in preference for bare ears and naked eyes.

"Thank you. As you all know, tonight is the one event that every citizen of Sun City looks forward to," He says, pacing across the stage. "If you thought we were loud before then think again." The audience let out a few muffled chuckles.

"And now, remove your sunglasses everyone," He joked, gesturing towards the audience. "We'll be ready in just a few minutes." As he spoke, a fine mist swept through behind the stage, permeating the air instantly as it swept over the audience.

"Oh boy, who set off the smoke machines early?" He mumbled, stepping around as if glass had been broken. "Don't worry...only some slight...technical difficulties..." His words slurred, as he swayed back and forth before he fell to the ground, the rough and piercing screech of the clattering microphone not fazing the people as they each dropped to their feet one by one, like bees in smoke.

Behind the stage curtains, the scientist who appeared could not contain his laughter. "Wow, the gas worked even better than I had guessed! I'd expect no less from a genius such as myself."

"Whatever happened to 'staying humble,' Professor?" interjected the armored zombie.

"Hush now," He said rather agitated, adjusting his glasses. "Assign every grunt we have for transportation. And make sure that they don't miss a single one." He said, drawing out the last sentence. In response, the second zombie sighed heavily.

The loud groaning and shuffling feet from the zombies that would normally have sent people in a frenzy, dispersed with a wave of a hand, dragging out the audience members by their feet. The ever desired future that had been long envisioned by the Undead was now in the palm of their hands.

"Prof, what about this one right here?" Said Rustbolt, prodding the mayor's leg with an armored foot.

"Hmm, doesn't seem very satiating," Inspected the professor. "But I guess, we can take him." He signaled for a grunt to come up on stage to drag out the mayor.

From the dark, a whistling sound gradually grew louder, and in the blink of an eye, something darted from across the field, over the fog, past the grunts, towards the professor's head–

Smack.

Before he'd seen it, a metal limb protruded from Brainstorm's metal backpack, his latest invention, catching the pellet midair just before it made contact with his face, the burning rubber from the sheer force of simply stopping the pellet was heavy in the air, emitting smoke as it deflated.

"Oh?" He exclaims, holding what remained of the rubber pea. "I thought we'd moved past that." He examined it more closely, adjusting his wide-rounded glasses. "Hmm, rudiment at best but what can you expect from a mere rookie?"