Chapter Twenty-Eight: This is Our Story

"So, this story is about us?"

"Yes," I tell Ben the next morning as we're sitting at my "kitchen" table. It's the only table I have and it's not in the kitchen but you get the idea. "And it's bad."

"How bad?"

"I mean, it's readable I guess? And I'm sure I'm biased, but it's just not very well written I don't think."

I stayed up till three in the morning reading all of Addison's story, and a bunch of the comments, too. A lot of it is just encouraging her to continue writing, and reactions with gifs and emoji's but some of the comments have more bite to them. There's #teamZack and #teamRen and everyone pretty much thinks that Zoey is a moron. Added to all of that, the latest chapter was posted after the fight at the office. Which means that Addison went home and wrote it yesterday. That chapter was the hardest to read. Because, apparently, Zoey's a bit toxic at work, and always making life difficult for this person she works with who is a thinly veiled Addison called Allison.

"I guess it's a bit hard to be objective," I say, spearing the last piece of the French toast that Ben made. It's delicious, and I've eaten three pieces of it which I'm going to regret later. Then again, sex burns a lot of calories so ...

"What's there to be objective about?"

"Whether I can sue her."

Ben laughs. "I doubt that."

"You haven't read what I read."

"How do I come off?"

"Not good."

"How bad?"

"Bad, Ben. Basically Ren is a sociopath who enjoys toying with Zoey and still has something going on the side with his ex—"

Ben's eyes dance with amusement, not bothered in the least. He wakes up in a good mood, too, or at least he did this morning. I'll have to judge if that's me related or just Ben. It's too soon to tell.

"Let me guess," he says, "her name is Betchel?"

"No."

"I'm blanking."

"It's Rache."

Ben starts to clear the plates, bringing them to my sink. "That's the same name basically."

"I know. Right?"

"What are you going to do about it? Besides the suing, I mean."

"I'm not sure." I lean back in my chair. "Things are already so tense at the office, and, shit ... What time is it ?"

Ben turns around and checks his watch. "It's eight-thirty."

"Fuck, fuck, fuck. I have to go." I jump up and kiss him quickly as he walks out of the kitchen. He tastes like cinnamon and syrup which means he tastes like the best combination ever invented. "Meet me here at six thirty?"

He smiles. "Chinese again?"

"Surprise me."

I kiss him again and bolt for the door. I'm already behind on my book writeups and I have that stupid list of titles to work on too. Usually, I'm already at my desk by this time, but I was so tired from being up late reading that I couldn't pry my eyes open. And then Ben made me breakfast, and gah ... It feels like my life is a mess. I need to slow down and focus.

If I don't, I'm going to screw things up even more badly.

Okay, okay, maybe I'm being too hard on myself. My life isn't falling apart. I just found Ben. But something about it feels a bit out of control. I spent the last year basically on my own except for Kit, and now there's someone making me breakfast in the morning. Someone I basically jumped into bed with which is totally not like me.