Chapter Thirty: A Text Too Far

"Hey," Jack says. "Great speech."

I look over his shoulder for Ben, but he's not here. It was Jack all along. "Thanks."

"How are you?" He's wearing a suit jacket and chinos and looks oddly formal, but nice. That's Jack. He's nice. Why can't I be more attracted to nice?

"I'm good." I feel a bit woozy, actually, but he doesn't need to know that. "You?"

"I'm all right. Work has been a bit nuts. How is Kit holding up?"

"She's fine. I mean, she's good. She's having fun tonight at least." I glance over at Kit and John, who are still wrapped up in each other. Kit is glowing and John's almost glowing too. Kit raises her glass at me and mouths I love you.

"That's good."

I bring my attention back to Jack. "She'll find something."

"I'm sure. It's hard out there, though."

"I think she'll be okay. I hope so, anyway."

"I'm sure she will." He looks around the room. "Nice space."

"Yep."

"You organized this?"

"Ben did."

"Oh, where is he tonight?" He searches around him, like he might find his almost doppelganger and recognize him in the crowd.

"He's not here. He had a family emergency."

"Ah."

"You think it's bullshit?"

"I didn't say that."

"But you thought it."

He cocks his head to the side. "You don't know what I thought."

"You're jealous."

Jack puts his hand on my shoulder. "I care about you, Chloe."

"Ben cares about me."

"You say so."

I shrug his hand off. "You don't know him."

"All I know is what you've told me about him. And based on that, he doesn't sound like someone who can be trusted."

"That's a big leap."

"You'll see."

"What does that mean? You can predict the future?"

"I just don't think he's going to make you happy."

"You've made that clear."

"You're mad?"

I cross my arms. "Wouldn't you be in my situation?"

"I'm just looking out for you."

"Well, don't, okay, Jack? I don't need you to do that." I step away from him. "See you around."

I walk away, not sure where I'm going. I meant to go to Kit and John and congratulate them again, but instead, I feel aimless. This room is full of landmines—Jack, my parents, even Lianne. They all mean well, but there's only one person I want to talk to right now.

Ben.

And now, the air in the room feels like it's too much. All the expelled breath of the laughter and talking and congratulations, mixed with the drinks I had. I need to get out of here.

I put my glass down and head for the exit.

I don't bother saying goodbye to Kit because I'm planning on coming back. I just need to be somewhere else for a few minutes.