4. Part Engaged

Now me, Mia, Lilly, Charlotte, Joe and Grandma were sitting around in a dark room looking at slides of potential suitors. There was one on the screen of Baron Johann Klimt who in Grandma’s words was a compulsive gambler. Mia and I shared a tub of popcorn.
The next slide was of HRH Prince William.
“Yes. Oh, a thousand times yes!” I gasped.
“If I was single. I would absolutely accept.” Mia agreed with me and chucked some popcorn into her mouth. Lilly nodded.
“Prince William. He’s not eligible because he’s in line for his own crown.” Charlotte told us.
“Then why show us his handsome looks?” I asked her, raising a single brow.
“If he’s not eligible, why include him in these pictures?” Joe asked.
“Exactly my question.” I said, throwing popcorn in my mouth.
“I just love to look at him.” Grandma said, Joe gave her a surprised look.
“Yep, same here,” I agreed, munching on some caramel popcorn of my own.
“Mm. Me, too” Lilly said.
“Mm-hmm.” Mia nodded.

Next was a slide of Antoine Suisson of Paris

“Plays the harp. No title, but a good family.” Charlotte said.
“What about the title “husband”?” Lilly suggested.
“Yeah. He’s cute.” Mia agreed.
“Yeah, his boyfriend thinks he’s handsome also.” I enlightened them.
“Right on!” Mia and Lilly said.
“No matter. Put him on all the invitation lists. He’s a divine dancer.” Grandma said.
“Next.” I said.
A man too old was on the screen so, the next slide was clicked on. This time too young. Then there was one that was arrested too many times.
“We need someone titled, someone who can help you run a country without ego getting in the way,.” Grandma stated and I nodded, “Someone attractive, smart, but not arrogant, someone with compassion.”
“Someone like him?” I pointed at the screen.
On the screen was Andrew Jacoby, Duke of Kenilworthy. Age 25. Hobbies: Photography and Travel. And he didn’t look too bad either.
“Yes. Someone very much like him.” Grandma agreed.
“Good choice, Kit” Mia patted my shoulder.
“I wonder why I didn’t think of him before.” Grandma thought.
“Ohh, well he looks…decent,” I would never say it out loud but I had already seen and met the man who I would say was handsome and good looking. But he's my enemy now.
“He’s an olympic swimmer, rides motorcycles, loves photography, and he’s a pilot for the Royal Air Force,” Charlotte listed off.

Andrew was okay, fun and all in all a good guy. His parents were nice. After knowing him for a week he proposed the ring in a film canister. The ring had belonged to his great-grandmother. The ring was pretty and it had a sweet story with it. I said yes. I couldn’t say no.
We announced our engagement. And it went all right. I thankfully didn’t stumble or knock over anything.

 I thankfully didn’t stumble or knock over anything

I’m reading on the main staircase steps. I hear whistling. I looked up from my book and saw Devereaux sauntering towards me. I looked at my ring and sighed.
“Having second thoughts?” He asked me when he was closer to me leaning on the banister, and I stood up from the steps holding my book.
“No. Actually on the contrary. I was just admiring it,” We come to each other's eye level, “It was Andrew's great-grandmothers. You know he really is such a romantic.” I walked up the steps, him following me as I talked. As he came closer I moved away and stepped down the steps to go the other way. “Well, if you’ll excuse me, I really must go to see some wedding details.”
When I went up the other staircase, Devereaux walked at the same pace so we would both reach the top at the same time. I was confused as to why he was following me. “I’m sorry. Is there something you wanted to say to me?”
“No. No,” He said plainly, “You are the one who stomped on me with your big feet.”
“So what? You danced with my big feet.” I countered.
“Fine. I danced with you. Call the Hague, convene the war crimes tribunal.”
“No need to do that, Devereaux.”
“Kit, I would remind you that we only danced for about a minute.”
I know that, but that was one of my favorite minutes of my life. No one will know this and Devereaux for certain will not know. Not if I can help it.
“It was more than a minute.” I shrugged, trying not to convey any of my real emotions.
“Well, maybe a minute and a half.”
“Fine. It was a minute and a half, but it was also a lie, because you didn’t tell me who you were and that you were trying to steal my crown.” I stated this with venom in my voice.
“Well, please pardon me. I had a momentary lapse of good manners. You see, usually when I ask a woman to dance, I always show her “my family tree”.”
I let out a cold laugh.
“Oh, well, aren’t you just funny.” I knew some maids were looking for me and I heard their voices in the distance, “Do you want to know what else you were doing while you were doing your little lie dance?” Making me fall in love with you But I couldn’t say that to him. I walked down a hallway, him following.
“Lie dance?” He asked.
“Oh. Yeah, that is exactly what you did.” I said frustratedly.
“What is a lie dance?” He asked again.
The voices of the maids came closer. I opened the door to a supply closet and ushered Devereaux inside, stalking in after him. I closed the door and turned on the light.
“The lie dance is not the point. The point…”
“What is the point?” Devereaux asked as he turned off the light.
“Is that I…” I stopped to turn the light on again, “The point is that I’m onto you. Oh, boy, am I onto what you are trying to do.” Our faces were quite close. If one of us would move forward our lips would have touched. But I had to stay on task and his irritating voice helped.
“And what am I trying to do?” He asked me.
“I think we both know exactly what that is.” The door of the closet opened and the head housekeeper was there. Both Devereaux and I launched backwards.
“Oh, oh, please forgive the intrusion, Your Highness, Lord Devereaux.” And she quickly closed the door.
“Shit.” I simply said.
“You do swear a lot.”
“I do not.”