6. Part Love Maybe

Today’s Independence parade was a success. Mia and I had the Children’s Shelter kids walk in the parade with us, wearing tiaras on their heads.
Later Mia and I proposed for the winter palace to make a Children’s Shelter. Till money could be raised to build one of their own.

Walking down the hallway with Mia and Lilly. Charlotte told us that the ramp would be set up in the ballroom. Tonight’s my bridal shower.
Walking towards us in the hallway is Devereaux. Mia and Lilly quickly excuse themselves.
“Hello,” Devereaux greets. He had on glasses which was different, but a good different.
“Hello,” I said politely.
Awkwardness in the air.
“So…are you crashing my bridal shower?” I asked him.
“Sadly no. I wanted to tell you that I was impressed by what you and your sister did at the parade.”
“Thank you.” I conveyed no emotion. I laughed sheepishly and said in a quiet tone, “I’m having a slumber party.”
“Congratulations on the children's center.”
“Thank…Thank you.” Why did this have to be nervous and awkward? Why couldn’t he not be my rival and instead be my fiance? Why couldn’t that be the reality I would be living in? Why?
We awkwardly said goodbye and both walked in the opposite directions.

The bridal shower was nice and we had great fun. Even Grandma sang with Asana, which was also sweet and entertaining.
Now again I am trying to master archery or at least try to hit the board. I still feel I have missed something, some little trick. I had on a nicely fitting dress so I could move around but still look good.
I pulled the flaming arrow back and released it, but instead of hitting the mar, it hit the grass. My maids quickly extinguished it.

“That’s enough flaming ones for now,” I said, taking a plain arrow from the bag

“That’s enough flaming ones for now,” I said, taking a plain arrow from the bag. I placed it on the bow. Then I asked Andrew who was watching my train. Next to him was Lilly. Mia was meeting with Micheal who had come to visit us taking a break from his tour, “Andrew, you sure I didn’t burn you?”
“Of course you did. Look at his coat,” Lilly answered for him as they both looked at the sleeve of his khaki colored coat.
“No, no. It’s very minor,” He told me, “You just sort of seared the sleeve. Look, uh…”
I shoot another arrow, almost hitting the maids. Thankfully they very skillfully ducked.
“Sorry!” I shouted to them. I started to hear a familiar whistling, making me groan. I noticed him walking towards us on the grass. Devereaux looked to be coming from the garden. I turned to Lilly, “Uh, Lilly. Can I talk to you for a second?”
“Uh-huh.” Lilly nodded, while Andrew kept inspecting his coat. I put my bow on the ground and Lilly strutted to my side as we moved away from Andrew’s listening ears.
“Look over there,” I gestured with my head to where Devereaux was walking. Lilly looked to where he was standing,
“Should I shoo him or should I shoo him? Just tell me who I should shoo, and I will shoo,” Lilly said to me. I looked up for a moment thinking.
“I just want to talk to Nicholas for a second. Ok?” I told Lilly, she nodded and we walked back to where Andrew was. The maids were trying to fix his sleeve.
“Backing off please,” I said to my maids who swiftly backed away, “Andrew, why don’t you go introduce Lilly to your parents? Just tell them I’ll be up for brunch in a second.” Andrew seemed to agree.
“Yeah, I’d love to meet Susan and Arnold,” Lilly chimed in, “ We can have those tasty finger sandwiches together.” Lilly led Andrew away. Devereaux had since then climbed over the miniature hedge surrounding the path and was standing on the grass close to my archery equipment. I turned around and looked at him, then started towards him. We met in the middle.
“Would you like some help?” He asked me, regarding my archery skills or lack thereof. I nodded and took my bow in my hand. He handed me an arrow and I placed it on the bow, or in I don’t know the correct terminology, “Ready?”
“Mm-hmm,” I hummed in reply.
“Take your stance.”
“Okay,” I did just that. I heard him chuckle. I felt his hand on my elbow as he redirected me.
“Elbow down  just a bit.”
“Okay”
“Use your mouth as an anchor.” Excuse me?
“Excuse me?” I said, confused.
“Touch your mouth,” I moved my hand so it gently touched my mouth, “Good. Relax this hand” I relaxed my left hand’s grip on the bow as I felt his hand grazed mine. I felt the ghost of his touch on my shoulder, “And breathe in,” I breathed in, “Release.”
I released the arrow and it flew straight to the target. I lowered my bow and happily gasped.
“Ohh…” I still felt the warmth of Nicholas' hand on my shoulder.
“How did that feel?” He asked me, turning to look at me directly.
“Wonderful,” I still looked at the target, amazed. I knew there was some trick missing. My shoulder felt cold as Nicholas’ hand was no longer there. He moved closer to me. So my other shoulder was close to his chest. Our faces close. I looked up at him, “Wonderful.” We were so close yet so far. We kept eye contact for a beat too long, before I moved my gaze to the ground. My heart had beated faster the closer I was to Nicholas. He backed away a bit and spoke.
“I have to go. I really only came back to pack my things”
“You’re leaving?” I asked for confirmation, still keeping my gaze fixed on the ground.
“I think it’s time I bowed out gracefully. Don’t you?” I thought about it for a moment and felt myself agreeing.
“Goodbye then,” I offered him my hand. He shook my hand. Little sparks went through my hand, “Bye.”
“Goodbye” He backed away a bit. I expected him to walk away so I started to move.
It seemed that he didn’t want to leave just yet. For he stood in front of me to stop me, “Kit…” I looked up at him, “Could I see you one more time before I go?”
The thought of that made me want to smile but I held it in.
“Nicholas, I’m watched like a hawk,” Nicholas brushed loose hair from my face and tucked behind my ear. I heard Lionel calling my name coming towards us. He can be a bit dim, “See?”
“I’ll find a way.” I nodded and then turned to Lionel.
“Yes?”
“Uh, nothing. I’m just supposed to watch you.” I sighed through my nose as he said this. Looks like I can have no privacy whatsoever.

In two and half days I will be married. Unbelievable. Sitting in my suite having a staring contest with my wedding dress while my maids made my bed. It was very beautiful, so I chose one that would go all out. You know, ‘cus this is a royal wedding. If it wasn’t one I would have chosen a simpler design.
“Lady Kit, If you don’t need anything else, we’re going to supper.”
“Alright, girls. Good night.” I told them, not taking my eyes the dress.
After a bit of silence I heard footsteps come into my bedroom.
“Hey, sis, how you doing?” It was my twin sister Mia. Now I looked away from the dress and at her.
“I think I’ve fallen in love,” I stated plainly.

“With who?” She asked as she sat on my couch, I joined her sitting opposite her

“Nicholas. But I’m getting married so that can’t happen” I was sad at this. Moisture welled in my eyes. Mia hugged me tightly. Our little moment was interrupted by Lilly storming into my room.
“Look out your window.” She said,
“Wha…”
“Just look out your window.” I got up from the soft couch and walked to my window peeking through the curtains, then opening my window, “Prince Charming is throwing pebbles.”
That he was. Nicholas was standing under my window whistling like always.
“Nicholas?” I whispered, “Nicholas, what are you doing?”
He cleared his throat, “Rapunzel, Rapunzel, with hair so fine, come out your window, climb down the vine.” I looked next to me, Lilly mocking his words, and Mia holding in laughter. Then I looked out the window at the vine.

“The feat you ask, dear sir, isn’t easy, and I won’t respond to that line. It’s far too cheesy. And I like cheese,” I moved away from the window.
“So what does he want?” Mia asked me.
“He wants me to climb down the vine.”
“Well, do you want to?” Lilly asked.
“Yes.” I said pulling my black zip up hoodie closer to me.
“So go.” Mia cheered on.
“It’s a recipe for disaster.” I groaned.
“Kitty, do something impulsive for once in your life.” I cringed at the old nickname,
“You're getting married. Do you want a normal bachelorette party with 12 screaming girls, or do you want a stroll in the midnight with your almost-Prince Charming?”
“I choose the second option.” I threw a blanket out the window. Then I started to climb out of the small window. I did the thing that you were told you shouldn’t do whenever in a high place. I looked down. It would not be the safest landing if I were to fall. But I proceeded to climb the vine. “This is way more romantic in books,” I commented, “And my foot is stuck! Fuck!”
Then I slipped and thudded against a window. Seeing grandma in the kitchen and my maids. I gestured for them to distract her. So they started their dancing show that they did at my bridal shower.
I was so close to the ground but I slipped again. A scream left my lips. This time falling backwards and crashing onto Nicholas.
“Ohhh! Ohh. Ahh.” Nicholas groaned.
“Oh! I’m so sorry, did I hurt you again?” I asked worriedly.
“No, I…I’m use to it.” He calmed me and brushed a stary curl from my face, smiling. I returned the smile. Then we both got up, Nicholas took my hand and with my free one I grabbed the blanket.
“I’ll cover for you. Go, Rapunzel, Go!” Mia shouted.

We got horses and galloped to the nearby forest. We reached a lake and set the blanket down there. Now we were playing thumb wars and asking each other questions.
“Tell me about your greatest desires,” Nicholas said.
“Tell me a secret,” I countered.
“Isn’t that the same?”
“Almost, but anyone can see your desires. No one knows what's inside your heart,” I explained.
“Tell me something.”
“Um…I love books, they're basically my oxigen, and sometimes I run random scenarios over in my head. Sometimes they even affect my dreams”
“Huh. I used to pretend I was sick when I had a test in school.”
“Everyone has done that. Something different.”
“Ok,” Nicholas chuckles, “Sometimes I put chocolate milk on my cereal.”
“I am deathly afraid of fish.”
“I haven’t danced with you since your birthday.”
“That’s a fact, not a secret.”
“The secret is that I still want to.”
“We can remedy that.”
In my thoughts music played as Nicholas and I waltzed in moonlight that night.