Chapter 51

UConn is the most decorated women's basketball program in the NCAA. Every year, they put together a great team, and were highly ranked with a good chance of winning it all. Even when they didn't win a championship, they almost always went far in the tournament, and you knew that they'd be a tough out. So, knowing we had to beat them to get to the finals, we had prepared for a war.

They gave us one. They were by far the best team we'd faced, and it was a tooth and nail battle the entire way. Luckily, we got a few late stops, and I was getting a ton of rebounds because the UConn defender who had been guarding me fouled out, and they didn't have anyone else tall enough to bother me when I had the ball. In the fourth quarter I went off, scoring a dozen points on my own as we finally pulled away, winning 92-87.

We were going to the finals!

The mood in the locker room was jubilant, and a lot of extra people somehow made it in. Okay, I'm sure Kari might have had something to do with that. Gee was there along with Zara and my beautiful Skye. Even a half dozen of the soccer players were there along with what I assumed were their girlfriends. It was like a little party, even though we didn't have long to celebrate. We had to clear out so the Baylor girls could use the locker room for their game against South Carolina, so we moved the festivities to the team hotel, where we all piled into a pair of adjoining rooms that Bryn and Dayana were staying in to watch the next game. We didn't care who won, we were confident we could take them down either way.

"Ya'll kicked some ass today!" cried out Mckenna, one of the soccer players who had lived here in Texas and had joined us to celebrate. "If you win the whole thing, us women's teams are going to run the whole damn campus!" She had one of the other players, a girl named Simone, in her lap. They were a mixed race couple too, and it made me happy to see. Hell, there was another one too, with a tall soccer player named Destiny and her girlfriend Marie being the other. I was so happy to find so many accepting people in one place, and I could see the two teams getting along well after this season.

"Listen up people!" Frankie, the captain and goalie of the soccer team stood up. She was the only one there without a partner, and I was a little surprised, unless she had someone who couldn't be there. "We've all been watching you play, and we know you can win this thing! You've been working together so well, like a damn steamroller out there! You play as a team, and you win as a team! We all bonded the same way when we won, and when you're operating like that then you can accomplish anything. We're going to be cheering you on, and I know you're going to get the win!"

Everyone in both rooms cheered and clapped, and I just squeezed Skye tight as we yelled along with everyone else.

"Looks like we're making more friends," Skye whispered to me. We were sitting on the hotel room couch, with Skye in my lap to save room. Between the two rooms there were at least a dozen couples, and I was pretty sure we'd created a little lesbian nirvana.

"This is amazing," I agreed. "I want to have a giant cookout with both teams at Leah's when it gets warmer."

"I heard that we might be doing that at Frankie's ranch when we're done." It could be the beginning of a great group of people that end up becoming supportive friends, and I loved it. This was exactly what I wanted from my college experience!

"Then we better win that game!"

"And we'll have a celebration on our own too," Skye promised while nipping my ear.

By the end of the night, we'd seen Baylor beat South Carolina, and our finals opponent was set. There were talking heads on every TV channel talking about the matchups, and comparing the rosters, and having no fucking idea what they were talking about. When it came down to it, we had to hit shots, and stop them from doing the same. Whichever team played their game the best would win. But the good thing for us was that we had three all-Americans, and two girls that could shoot lights out if they caught fire. So even if one of us was having an off night, we had the depth to overcome it.