Chapter 2 : Endless

"You, of all people? God damn it," I muttered in annoyance, though my voice was loud enough for him to hear. "Listen, I have no interest in being your partner either. Quit complaining about it. I'm trying to study here. You're making me uncomfortable," he said, irritated by my presence. He simply shrugged and put his headphones back on, clearly unbothered.

I don't want to deal with any unnecessary drama. My only resolution this year is to study hard and excel in my math grades. If I don't manage to achieve top marks this time, I'd willingly change my name.

"Do you usually speak your thoughts? Because I can hear everything you're saying right now," Jungkook remarked, catching me off guard. Oh no, he could hear me? I didn't anticipate that.

"As for your math grades, there's no way they'll improve as long as I'm here," he added with a smug expression. I didn't even ask for his opinion, but I decided to leave it at that. It seemed like Jungkook had a habit of meddling in other people's affairs.

"We'll see, Jeon Jungkook," I replied, determined to prove him wrong. "Same to you, Kim Y/N," he retorted.

Today is definitely not my day. And to make matters worse, this jerk is my partner. Whoever came up with this seating arrangement clearly had no consideration for my well-being.

Me and Jungkook used to have intense fights over who performed better in exams. I still remembered how relieved I was when he left the village, as I became the only student to consistently come first in every exam. But now, we are stuck together again.

"Class presidents!" Mr. Kang called out, causing the class presidents to stand up. Surprisingly, Jungkook is among them. He always seems to have a knack for surprises. I hope that he will surprise me with poor grades, although I know it's highly unlikely.

"You two stay seated, except for Jungkook," Mr. Kang instructed, leaving the other two students to take their seats. Jungkook looked puzzled, and Mr. Kang appeared to have something important to discuss with him.

"Meet me after school, Jungkook. I want you to explain all the rules to Y/N and show her around the school," Mr. Kang said before leaving, leaving Jungkook visibly annoyed. He took his seat and glared at me with those piercing eyes, as if he wanted to banish me from the classroom. Typical Jungkook.

I ignore his glare and reach into my bag, pulling out my expensive guidebooks. I wasn't trying to show off, but it seems like Jungkook interpreted it that way. I glanced at him from the corner of my eye, seeing a hint of anger in his eyes. This book is highly sought after and in high demand.

However, my smile quickly faded away when Jungkook pulled out a similar book. No way? How did he get his hands on this book?

"Can you move your stuff a bit?" he asked, clearly expecting me to comply. Why should I? He already had plenty of space. At this point, it seemed like Jungkook was just trying to show off. "I told you to move it," he repeated, his tone becoming more assertive.

"Oh, sorry, my hearing must be off today. Can you repeat that?" I responded sarcastically. He didn't say anything this time, but his glare intensified. Instead, he forcefully encroached on my share of the desk, despite having so much space.

"Move it," I demanded, refusing to back down. "And if I don't?" he replied. "Huh? And if you don't?" I retorted, pushing his hand away and reclaiming my space.

We locked eyes. After a tense staring contest and a silent battle for more space, we finally relented and looked away from each other. Even looking into his eyes was annoying.

Jungkook's pov:

"Your mom called me this morning, asking about your exam results," Mr. Kang said hesitantly, sensing the weight of the news he was about to deliver. "And?" I asked, keeping a straight face.

"You did very well. You came in second place. You're only one or two marks behind Jaehyun in the important subjects, but you scored higher than him overall," Mr. Kang replied. I squinted at him, waiting for the bad news I knew was coming. I had a feeling of what it would be.

"Well, your mom specifically told me to enroll you in 3 additional classes," Mr. Kang said with a concerned tone. "Oh," I replied, not having much else to say. "I can talk to your mom if you want, Jungkook. This might be too much stress for you," he offered.

"It's okay, Mr. Kang, my mom won't consider what you say anyway," I responded. "Are you sure you're okay? You're already doing 5 coaching sessions," he asked, clearly aware that I wasn't okay. "Yeah, just let me know the time," I said.

"Classes start at 9:30, I scheduled them late because your other 5 sessions finish at 9 PM, right?" he added. "Yep," I replied. "Okay, see you today then. And remember, you still have time to think about it. If you don't feel up to it, you don't have to do it," Mr. Kang said before leaving, as I nodded.

My mom has always been like this, constantly pushing me to be the best in every subject. She's all about getting that number one spot, no exceptions. She loses it if I come second, and of course, signs me up for extra classes to make sure I stay on top.

I've been worn out for what feels like an eternity, and honestly, I've reached a point where I don't even see the point in trying to change things. It's like no matter what I do, everything just continues.

None of my desires or wishes seem to come true. Even something as simple as a night out with my friends as a regular teenage boy is out of the question because, according to my mom, my grades will fall down. It's frustrating, and I'm beyond exhausted but there's nothing I can do or maybe I don't wanna do anything about it.