Chapter 7: The starting

I wrapped up work around 9 PM, a bit later than my usual 6 PM. Today was exceptionally crowded, making everyone put in extra hours.

I put on my jacket and grabbed my Scooty keys, saying bye to my colleagues. As I opened the door, I was about to head towards my scooter when I noticed Jungkook standing beside it. "Strange, why is this jerk here? Well, I shouldn't really call him a jerk, should I?" I pondered. After all, Jungkook had genuinely helped me today, stepping in to defend me. He deserves a thank you.

I approached, and he stood there, acknowledging my presence. "Um, thank you for today," I said, avoiding eye contact. He didn't reply, I hopped on my scooter, but curiosity led me to ask, "Hey, why are you standing here, anyway?" He looked at me, hinting at something important.

"Um... nothing, just, um... Oh! Yeah! I lost my wallet and mobile, so I don't have money to get back home, you see, nothing else," he explained clumsily.

"Seriously? I'll take you home," I offered, handing him the spare helmet. "Yeah, no, it's okay. I don't need your help," he declined, irritating me.

"Just get on, Jeon. I'm not going to kidnap you or anything. You know that, right?" I insisted. he retorted, "Yeah, right. Why would an idiot like you do that, anyway?" His arrogance, I hate it so much.

"Listen, I don't want to argue. Just thank you for today. Don't ask for thank-yous every day," I said, sulking, and started the engine, as i did, it began to snow. "It's snowing. Are you still going to stand here?" I asked, but he remained silent, maintaining his arrogant demeanor.

"Okay, bye," I said. "Okay, fine, I'll Ride. I can't believe you," he said, making me even madder. "What did you just say? I'm not taking you! Bye," I retorted. "Okay, okay, don't go" he finally agreed and got on.

As I started the scooter, he was pushed back by the sudden force, and the next moment, wrapped his hands around my waist. It sent a shiver down my spine, strangely weird.

Jungkook's POV:

I was actually waiting for her to apologize, and honestly, after what happened today, I got worried about her going home alone at this late hour. I don't quite understand why I felt that way but it's like my heart urged me to do so. However, I couldn't bring myself to tell her anything, not even a sorry about yesterday. Instead, I made up a false story about my wallet and mobile being stolen. Anyway...

"By the way, why are you working this late at night? It's already 9:30 PM. You need to leave this job," I said, hoping for a reasonable explanation.

"No, it was just today; I usually finish work at 6 PM. It was just a bit crowded today," she explained. Satisfied with her response, I smiled.

Y/N's POV:

"Here we are, we've arrived," I say as he steps off my scooter. "I thought I was about to meet my end today, you really can't ride this, Y/N, dang it," he says, frustrating me. "Oh, hello? What did I even do? you're really annoying. A thank you would've been good, Jeon," I replied in frustration.

"You made me feel like death is near, let alone a thank you," he replies. "Wow, you're literally so arrogant and toxic, do you know that?" I said without hesitation. "Okay, that's a bit too much; I'm anything but toxic," he replies, making me chuckle.

"Funny, whatever, I should go now," I said, starting the engine when a weird sound reaches my ears, a click sound? no, a camera sound. I turned around, feeling like someone just took a photo of Jungkook and me.

"What's up?" Jungkook asked. "oh uh nothing," I replied, brushing it off. "You good?" he asked again, checking if it was really nothing. I guess he can act nice too then.

"bye then" I said before leaving.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ugh, no wonder why I hate this subject," Miso sighs in frustration dropping the pen on the desk, catching my attention.

"What's going on?" I ask. "I can't crack this question," Miso replies, stressed.

"Let me take a look. A bullet, 10g in mass, was fired from a rifle at 1 km/s. The rifle's mass is 2kg. We need to find the backward velocity. It's a basic and easy one man, we just need one formula," I tell her.

"I used the conservation of momentum formula, m1u1 + m2u2 = m1v1 + m2v2, right?" she queries.

"Look, you got the initial velocity wrong. Why are u1 and u2 equal to 1? They should be 0," I explain. "But why, man?" she asks.

"Before it was shot, both the gun and the bullet had initial velocities of 0. When you substitute the values in m1u1+m2u2, the entire quantity becomes zero. So, we're left with just m1v1+m2v2, got it?" I reply. "Then then?", she focuses.

"See, I prefer writing it as MV + mv = 0. Capitals for the gun's mass and velocity, and small letters for the bullet. The question wants the backward velocity of the gun, right? So, write it like this: V = -mv ÷ M. Now, look at the data. The bullet's mass is 10g; convert it to kg. So, m = 10 ÷ 100 = 0.01 kg. The bullet's velocity is 1 km/s; convert it to m/s, making v = 1000 m/s. Lastly, the gun's mass, M = 3 kg," I explain.

"use the values in V = -mv ÷ M, and there's your answer. Did you get it?"

"Wow, for real that was actually easy, Why can't I understand when the teacher explains it damn it", Miso sighs in relief. "I don't know maybe you're just-", I was interrupted.

"Wrong," Jungkook says. "What's wrong?" "This is why I call you stupid, the mass of the gun is 2, not 3, gosh," Jungkook corrects.

"Shut up, that doesn't count," I retort in annoyance. "What? This is basically why you can't get ahead of me in exams, you make silly mistakes. Keep up with it though," Jungkook teases.

"I wasn't talking to you, Jungkook," I stand up, folding my arms. Standing close Infront of him.

"My mouth, my will, I talk. What's your issue?" Jungkook responds, standing in front of me.

"You're just an idiot, do you know that?" I retort, annoyance growing. "Says the one who makes stupid mistakes, haha," he smirks.

Listen, I'm not putting up with you every day-" Out of nowhere, someone shoves me from behind, and I end up accidentally bumping into Jungkook.

Jungkook gets pushed back into his chair. My hand lands on his shoulder. I couldn't understand why, despite the shock and annoyance, there was this weird pull making me want to close the gap between us.