Chapter 4: I Knew You Were Trouble When You Walked In

The next day, they were still handcuffed to each other and were walking together. "So many awkward moments already... Like getting changed, it was difficult and embarrassing." Ariana thought. "This is getting out of hand, why does it have to be three days?" Joshua asked. "I don't know..." Ariana said. "You know what? Let's just talk to each other to get to know each other, so that just in case he doesn't let us go when we tell him we didn't talk at all, he won't keep this up for much longer." Joshua said. "That sounds like a good plan, and plus it'll be fun." Ariana said.

Later that day, they were sitting in Joshua's office. "So... When's your birthday?" Ariana asked. "January 31." Joshua answered. "Really? Mine is the day before. How old are you anyways?" Ariana asked. "I'm 24, and what is your blood type?" Joshua asked. "It's... Type A." Ariana said. His eyebrows raised. "Same as mine." Joshua said.

They looked at each other, thinking of more to ask questions to each other. "I enjoy playing tennis, do you like to play any sports?" Ariana asked. "I enjoy tennis also. Do you like attending parties?" Joshua asked. "Well... The Noble Michel party was my very first party, and it was a great experience." Ariana said. "It was? I don't really like them. I just don't like dancing with people and it's troublesome." Joshua said. "Oh... But then why did you offer me to dance with you?" Ariana asked. "I... I was trying to be polite since I thought you were related to His Lord." Joshua said. "If you did know I wasn't, would you still have asked me?" Ariana asked and he stayed silent. "Also I wanted to know... When you mentioned that you were abused when you were younger, what exactly happened?" Joshua asked.

She hung her head down. "You... Really want to know?" Ariana asked. "It left me curious." Joshua said. "Alright. I'll tell you the whole story..." Ariana said.

"When I was younger, about five years old... I saw my parents getting murdered by a killer that broke into our home. Being a little kid, I ran as fast as I could to try to get away. The killer got me, but instead of killing me, the killer kept me imprisoned and abused me every day. This continued for two years until one day I was able to escape. I ended up living in a poor orphanage, and they made me work in a factory providing me with little food and other necessary things. I'm surprised that I'm still here, I always thought about ending my life, but... I finally found some happiness in my life." Ariana said.

He embraced her from the side. "That's so sad... You had it worse than me... I never saw my parents, but you... You lost your parents and saw them get killed. I feel even worse about almost hitting you the other day, no wonder you looked so frightened." Joshua said. "Prince Joshua..." Ariana said tearing up. "I'm sorry I've made your stay here hard on you. If I would've known this, then-" Joshua said. "Please, Prince Joshua. No more of that. It's in the past now, and I'm happy about my present time." Ariana said. "You are?" Joshua asked. "Yes, even if we had a couple arguments here and there, I enjoy being here. I really do." Ariana said. "I thought you want to go back home as soon as possible?" Joshua asked. "About that... I got in touch with my landlord saying that I had an unexpected thing to do for a while, and I was shocked on what he told me." Ariana said. "What was it?" Joshua asked. "He said that the whole apartment got on fire from a gas leak, and all of my belongings have turned into rubble... I have nowhere to go now..." Ariana said. "When did you find this out?" Joshua asked. "On the same day that we got handcuffed to each other. I was going to tell you, but then I got sidetracked by you know who." Ariana said. "I see. I'll let you stay here. You can quit the paperwork." Joshua said. "You mean it?" Ariana asked. "Of course. It's the least I can do." Joshua said. "But... I didn't do anything to deserve this." Ariana said. "You did. You've giving me what the true meaning of friendship is." Joshua said. "What do you mean?" Ariana asked. "You told me about your past which means you trust me, and I never got this close with anyone before." Joshua said. "Oh... I never had a close friend either. Thank you... And thank you for letting me live here since my apartment is gone, and I don't have anything left." Ariana said. "It's what friends do." Joshua said. They smiled at each other.