A Fool Once More

February 4, 1977

"So who's actually your date for tonight?"

Stevie caught Robin's reflection in the mirror and rolled her eyes.

"You, silly! And Mary."

Robin laughed and shook her head as they made the final touches to their makeup, both perched on the same stool in front of Robin's dressing table.

"What do you think?"

Mary appeared in the doorway and her friends turned to look at her. She was wearing a dress of Stevie's and twirled to show them the full outfit.

"I think you'll make a great decoy if Stevie decides to sneak off with Paul. Or Don. Or this other mystery man she won't tell us about."

"Oh, hush." Robin felt a sharp elbow in her ribs. "Mary, you look great honey. Wear that. And anyway, I told you - it's all over with him."

"So if he's there tonight you'll be fine?" Mary appeared in the mirror behind them, checking her reflection and adjusting the dress. "You won't be upset? You were a mess after that trip you took."

"I was fine. I am fine! I met Paul on that trip, so..."

"Yeah, but you just said you're not with Paul?"

"I can't keep up, Stevie."

"I'm not! Not...not officially. We've been on a couple of dates and had some talks about my career. We're not like, going steady or anything."

"Have you jumped his bones?"

"Robin! No. He's a gentleman. He's darling, really you'll love him."

Robin and Mary exchanged a raised eyebrow.

"Dare we ask where Henley fits into all this?"

"Can I use this lipstick?"

"Don't change the subject."

She sighed, grabbing the lipstick anyway and applying it as they watched and waited for her to confirm what they already knew.

"It's very casual. He knows about Paul and if things get serious with him I'll just break it off with Don, he's fine with that. He's probably seeing countless other women anyway, I mean he was when we were together before."

Robin got to her feet.

"Well, he must be dynamite, that's all I can say. Ready?"

Stevie nodded absentmindedly as she found herself wondering what exactly she was thinking going back to sleeping with Don.

~

It was the Rumours launch party and she was the belle of the ball. The difference from even a few months ago, when she had to fight to be acknowledged, was staggering. Something had fundamentally changed about her as she sashayed around the room, black dress slashed to the navel over what were now becoming her trademark platform boots.

"Look at you," Christine slurred into her ear as she snaked an arm around her neck for what was probably her 12th time hugging her that night. "You really do look bloody gorgeous. My little west coast princess, an honest to god rock star. I'm so proud of you Stevie."

"I'm proud of you! Look what we did!" She gestured around the room. "All this because of our little songs!"

"I'm sorry for what I said about Dreams. Everyone is saying it's going to be a smash. I feel a right pillock."

"Don't be silly." She kissed her affectionately on the cheek. "It needed Lindsey to work his magic."

"Now you listen to me...Linds is great, don't tell him I've said this, but you're great too. Don't feel like you need him. Or any of us."

"What are you talking about?"

"I've heard the stories. Some chap setting you up for a solo gig. Listen - no, don't pretend you're surprised - go for it. The lads will throw the teddies out but your mustn't take any notice. Understand?"

"I love you."

"Love you."

They hugged again and that was when she saw him watching her from the other side of the room. It was as though everything else, from all the faces between them to Chris mumbling compliments against her cheek, blurred away and he was the only clear thing she could make out. He smiled his enigmatic half smile, raised his glass to her and walked away.

"Chris, I - I have to..."

She broke free from her bandmate's confused grasp and ran after him, oblivious to the people trying to get a moment of her time as she pushed past them.

He was standing in an empty room, lit only from the light pouring through the open door. His hands were as ever stuffed into his pockets as he turned at the sound of her heels on the parquet floor.

"Here she is; the toast of the business. Congratulations darling, it really is your night." Without wasting a second, she slapped him squarely across the face. "I deserved that."

"You absolutely fucking did. You broke my heart."

"You deserved better! That's why...that's why I asked Paul to keep an eye on you. I was hoping something would develop and it has."

"What is wrong with you?" She heard voices outside and reached back to close the door, not caring that they were plunged into darkness. "You thought you could matchmaker your way out of this?"

There was a pause and she heard him shuffle his feet, something she had come to know he did when he was uncomfortable.

"I thought...look - I told you from the beginning I couldn't give you what you needed. I've never felt the way I feel about you, Stevie. But I have a family that needs me. I thought the best thing I could do was to at least hope you would replace me with someone good. Better than Henley, or Buckingham. Better than me."

"Well, that backfired. I don't know what you've heard about Paul and me but you're mistaken. He's a sweet guy but he hasn't been keeping me warm at night."

Another pause. The darkness seemed to be pressing in on all sides.

"Henley?" Nothing. "Fucking hell. Why?"

"I needed something, Derek! You just walk into my life, turn it upside down, change the way I see the world, change me, and expect to just leave a gaping hole when you've gone?"

"And? How is he as a replacement?" He took a step closer and her breath hitched at the familiar smell of his cologne. "Does he make your heart beat as hard as it is now? Does he make the words you daren't speak catch in the back of your throat? The desperate thoughts you don't want to admit to having? That consume every waking moment and even fill your dreams? Does he do that?"

"How -" she croaked, her throat dry as she felt his breath against her neck. "How do you know?"

"Because I feel the same."

She felt his fingers trace down her bare arm and grasp her hand, lifting and placing it against his chest. She felt the pounding of his heart and choked back her tears.

"Did she really call?"

"Yes."

"Did - does she know about us?"

"She knew there was someone. I haven't told her who. I kept away for your sake, but I can't help myself. It's wrong, I understand if you don't want me, but..."

His voice trailed off as he sensed her lips almost on his, her hands linked around the back of his neck.

"I want you."