Bonus Scene: Willow Teaches Galileo

A/N: This mini-scene takes place after Willow's birthday but before the Harvest Festival.

Galileo (Courage)

Willow, in her relentless attempt to make me care about humankind, is forcing me to learn about her "culture." If you can call animals throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks culture. It's tasteless and asinine, but I don't have the heart to refuse her. 

I can still complain, though, and I do. Frequently.

"How is it that your people have machines to complete every menial task that they're too lazy to do, but they still wipe their asses with paper?"

She sighs, exasperated. "We're talking about the rise of the internet, not bathroom preferences."

We're in my classroom, the first time she's been in here since I flunked her out of the course. It reminds me of the first day I truly met her, discounting the brief interaction we had in Hell nearly four years ago.

A lot has changed since she gave me a false last name and a made-up story about her family. I told her that her shoes were untied because even then I noticed everything about her.

She was–and still is–so expressive. It was like every thought in her brain scrolled across her face. She was nervous for reasons I didn't understand, flustered by my mere presence. I liked making her squirm and the sense of power it gave me.

She still gives me that power, just in a different way. She trusts me to wield control over her when we're alone and slipping into more intimate roles. Having her is the highest I've ever been, a feeling that does not abate even when she's gone from my side.

My arms cross as I lean back in my seat. "You're supposed to be my teacher, baby. I have questions and you should indulge my curiosity."

"Have you met yourself? You threw a pen at a student for asking about Heaven's tiering system."

"You say that like it's a bad thing."

"It went through his eye!"

Did it? I was somewhat distracted when it happened. Willow was always so serious about taking notes, she hardly ever glanced up from her paper while I was talking. However, when that demon boy asked me a question, she looked at him and it bugged me.

I threw the pen while watching Willow. I vaguely remember his screams of agony, but I vividly recall Willow's open-mouthed shock and disappointment. I was chastised without her speaking one word, but I was also graced with her attention for the rest of the period as she shot daggers in my direction. 

I count it as a win, all things considered.

"I taught him a very valuable lesson that day. Never interrupt me with bouts of idiocy unless you wish to be maimed."

Her metal pointer thwaps against the board. "Okay, then. Take your own advice and pay attention. There will be a quiz later."

I'm probably going to snap that damn thing before the day is over. She's waving it around like she's trying to conduct an orchestra, except I'm the only other living thing here. And you'll sooner catch me playing Scrabble than an instrument.

We covered classical music and popular board games three hours ago. I'm still not sure how she was able to connect the two, but she did.

"You're enjoying this too much. The power's going to your head."

She taps the pointer against her temple with a grin. "Is this how you feel all the time? No wonder your ego's so big."

"My ego is the perfect size, much like the rest of me."