ᴏ ɴ ᴇ ❦

Eleanora

„And you work for who exactly?" I suck in a breath of air as I try my best to maintain friendly and keep up my smile. My gaze drops down to the man's tie. Messy and loose. He must be single. Typical.

„I am my own boss, sir" I hated those kinds of conversations. I do indeed tend to have them a lot. It's always me justifying myself to white old men. And I'm sick of it.

I can hear him suppressing a huff. He rubs his nose thinking I wouldn't notice how the corners of his mouth curl up, forming a grimace. Men. This is why I became my own boss. I'm sick of men telling me what to do. Now it's me who's in control.

„Excuse me sir" I say, still keeping a subtle smile as I make my way towards the front door where my coat is located. My amusement for business parties was limited. I actually despise them. But since I have to keep up my good reputation, and fulfil my sisters favour, I attended tonight's gathering.

My sister Theresa is only two years younger than me and managed to build her own perfume company at the same time I started working independently as a business manager. I have to admit she has come far since her starting point. But now she's looking for a sponsor. Well basically I am. Since I'm her business manager.

I tried making conversation with the ones I knew would be good sponsors but none of them took me seriously. Typical.

Putting on my coat that fits like a second skin, I walk towards the front porch. There would be too many people in the back, and hell forbid to stumble into that man or one of his white friends another time.

The cold night breeze hits my face and bare legs causing me to shudder. I hug my coat tight to my body seeking warmth. The night sky shimmers with millions of stars and the moon is clearly visible.

My gaze wanders off to different stars, examining the beautiful sky. Something distracts me from staring. My phone buzzes. Unknown caller ID.
Who could possibly call me at midnight?

Sceptically I accept the call, leading the phone to my ear. „Gray. Hello?"

A husky voice. His voice. Martin Wilson. Oh how I hate this man.

„Gray, I think you want to know the great news." there's something in his voice. It sounds like pure irony.

"Obsessed much?" my voice is now sounding low and anyone could sense the annoyance. I hear a chuckle which makes my blood boil.

"Don't be silly Gray. I just called to ruin your night, whether it was wonderful or not—" I hear him inhaling and then he drops the bomb.

"—Alexander Smith is now my client, Gray."

No. I shake my head even though I know he can't see me. I grit my teeth and my hand balls into a fist.

"How dare you Wilson—"

"Gray. This is life, get over it. Have a pleasant night."

"Wilson!" I yell but all I hear is the sound of him ending the call. My blood is boiling, my fingernails digging into my palm and my jaw is now hurting from all the clenching.

Slowly I open my hand and I'm immediately feeling a sharp pain as I inspect the palm of my hand. Red marks are painting the flesh.

"Fuck!" I yell into the night scenery in front of me. No one hears but I don't care. I feel so frustrated.

Martin is the only person that I hate with my whole heart. I despise him. His voice, his hair, his reeking smell like cigarettes. There is nothing that I hate more than this man.