yearned for, true

Angelina had been feeling unwell for a while now. It wasn't a feeling she could describe particularly to say a doctor, or a psychiatrist. It was an intensity, a shockingly blinding sensation, numb yet all feeling, nauseous and providing a sense of deep calm.

At 7:17am, whilst studying in an English literature class, Angelina had been sent to the infirmary after vomiting on June Corcoran's copy of A Midsummers Nights Dream. As she lay on the white crepe paper, Angelina wondered if June had now borrowed her copy.

At 7:17am Vivienne had just slapped Minnie Fillman in the face. They had been smoking in the east wing bathroom with a couple of other girls, window propped open with a wooden ruler, when the two had gotten into a heated argument about the state of Vivienne's former relationship; Minnie had rather confidently told the group, that the reason he had left her, was because Vivienne didn't kiss him the way Minnie did-at Dorothy Firske's basement party a year and a half ago, huddled up in the steamy and poorly ventilated downstairs bathroom.

Vivienne had recieved a bloody nose after Minnie pounced, just after 7:17am. At 7:20am Vivienne had decided to send herself to the infirmary, due to the slightly alarming amount of blood pooling in her outstretched palm. She had entered the room, a bloody tissue clasped daintily, like a handkerchief to her face, and thrown herself onto the third infirmary bed, wincing at the buzzing fluorescent light blaring from above. Angelina lay still, face to the wall.

At 7:17am on that Thursday morning, Guin had already hidden out in the east wing bathroom, before promptly leaving when a group of girls had walked in and set up camp, filling the air with a faint scent of smoke and talking shit about boys. Guin had slipped under the bathroom stall, wincing at her hair touching the floor, still being somehow unheard; and set off on her way to the infirmary to fake a fever.

At 7:21am, Guin had successfully tricked the nurse into thinking she was ill; to the extent at which it was required, in order to miss a lesson-and would find herself in the infirmary room, unfortunately already occupied with two other girls.

The three had sat in silence for a while; because there really isn't a lot to say to the girls you've grown up alongside, but never really bothered to get to know.

Vivienne had been the one to break the silence, and what she had said was,
"Can one of you bitches get me another tissue?"
Angelina, rolling her eyes, had handed the box silently to Guin, who had finally handed it to Vivienne.

"Thanks."

The three girls had shared a certain look when the box was exchanged. And perhaps it was their need for something deeper, something more connected and meaningful that had urged it on-but in that moment the three had felt that either one of them, was feeling the exact same way.

"Do you girls wanna play cards? It looks like we'll be here the whole hour. Josephine Lynch just passed out in human biology, so Nurse is freaking out." Guin had held up a pack of cards finely decorated with bleeding hearts.

"Okay." Angelina had whispered.

"I'd like that." Vivienne gently removed the tissue from her nose.

"That's weird. Its stopped bleeding."

The girls played cards until they were caught by Nurse wheeling in a thirteen year old girl with a sprained wrist. They were kicked out of the infirmary and immediately gathered in the east wing bathroom, sharing raspberry bubblegum and handing round a single cigarette.

"I don't smoke. Sorry." Guin had passed round the cigarette to Angelina.

"Why are you apologising? I don't care." Vivienne had opened a tube of cheap glitter lipgloss and started applying the sticky sweet substance to her lips. "Mm. Cherry." She smiled at Angelina.