What's she doing here?

Chapter 29

Nate POV

    My head hurts as I try to force my eyes open, and I close them back again as I slowly touch my forehead. After I dropped Lilian off yesterday, I drove to my apartment and suddenly started feeling sick. I guess it's fever, and I can't even lift a finger right now.

    With all the strength left in me, I drag myself up to my feet and walk sluggishly into the bathroom, slamming the door behind me. I lean over the water closet and empty my bowel inside, walking back into my room afterward.

    "Shit!" I curse under my breath as soon as I step into my room and realize that I forgot to close my window yesterday. That might've been the reason I woke up feeling sicker this morning.

    Throwing myself on the bed, I lazily reach out to the phone that's lying on the bedside table, and I press the power button, turning the screen on. I almost cringe when I see the tons of missed calls from a few people, and my mom happens to be one of them. Why did mom call me?

    My phone starts ringing while I'm still checking the list of people that called me, and it's mom. I answer the phone after hesitating for a few seconds.

    "Sweetheart, I have been trying to reach you since yesterday but you didn't answer your phone. Are you ok? Is everything alright?" Her voice sounds worried as she bombards me with questions, and I sigh. Even though I want to tell her that I'm sick, I also don't want her to be so worried about me, or even come here. I'm going to end up becoming sicker if she happens to come here because she will make sure she frustrates my life with rants. Yes, that is who she is. If it's not about getting married later, then it's about something that interests her. That was the reason I had to move out of the house and came to rent an apartment here. To cut the long story short, my mom has no clue about where I'm staying. 

    "I'm fine, mom. I came home pretty late yesterday, and..."

    "You see what I have been telling you all these while but you never listen to me? If you're managing the family business, no one will tell you the time to leave your office. I don't know why you have been so stubborn to listen to me," She rants from the other end, and I touch my forehead as I throw my head back in frustration. Why the hell did I even answer her call? This is what I go through whenever she calls me. I have my reason for not wanting to take over the family business, but she never wanted to understand.

    "Mom, I'm not complaining," I sigh.

    "I am complaining, Nate. I am complaining, and it's high time you listen to me," She snaps at me, and I bite my bottom lip.

    "Have you eaten yet?" She asks after a few seconds of silence, and I sigh briefly.

    "No, mom. I just woke up, and I'm about to go to the kitchen to make breakfast," I spill the words out before I can stop myself, knowing that I just got myself into another round of trouble.

    "This is what I have been saying, Nate. You just woke up, and you want to go to the kitchen and make food. You are old enough to get married, why are you doing this, son?" She whines like she's going to burst into tears anytime soon, but who says that I don't know the kind of dramatic person my mom is? Well, she would do anything just to make one see how she sees things, and also get one to do what she wants.

    "Mom, can you just leave me alone? I'm just twenty-nine, and..."

    "Nathan, your cousin is just twenty-five, and he's already happily married with two kids and his beautiful wife. Does he has two heads or five dicks?" She cuts me off, and I end up laying flat on the bed, staring up at the ceiling. The pain I was feeling just now has disappeared. How am I still supposed to feel pain when mom is already frustrating me?

    "Fine, mom. I will get married very soon, and I promise you that," I reply to her, and I hear her scoff. I should've known that I can't convince her with those mere words.

    "As if I don't know the kind of person you are. You have been saying this to me since you turned twenty-six. Do you think that I will believe you now? You must be a joker..."

    "Mom..." I cut her off.

    "Just wait until I get the location of where you're staying, and visit you. Anyway, I just called to check up on you. Bye," She says and bangs the call.

    "Shit!" I curse under my breath as I manage to sit up on the bed. Mom is going to kill me before my time, I swear it. 

    Scrolling through my phone one more time, I find Lilian's number among the people that called me. She must be in the office now, so I will call her later. For now, I need to get ready and visit the hospital for treatment.

    Dropping my phone on the bed, I drag myself to my feet and walk sluggishly into the bathroom to have my bath.

    After I'm done having my bath, I walk back into my room and take my time to get dressed, leaving my room afterward.

    Descending the staircase a few minutes later, the doorbell suddenly rings, and I stop on my track. I check my wristwatch to see the time, and I'm sure that the person at the door can't be Lilian.

    "Who's that?" I mumble as I stare at the locked door in confusion. Aside from Lilian, and my best friend, Nick who helped me rent the apartment, nobody else knows that I live here, so who could be at the door, because I know it can't be Nick? He's presently out of the city.

    I finally walk over to the door and look through the hole, but the person I see makes me almost jump out of my skin. What the hell is Kira doing here?