Desert Camp

Latisha and Tick climb down to the next ledge on a mildly sloping ridge overlooking the desert at the center of the wilderness known as The Bright Waste. Rebel jumps down beside them, her attention and Latisha's rifle focused on the rocks above. They are still in Red Rock territory and an ambush is always possible even if it isn't likely. Three sand-colored tents huddle near the base, close enough to benefit from the cooler shadows, but not so close that the occupants have no time to avoid any stirring squids hiding in the rocks.

Three figures emerge from the tents to watch their descent. Their individual abayas allow Latisha to effortlessly identify them.

Red Anya with her blood red robes and slightly bent posture. A fighter and a survivor. She'd been taken by Blue Crone reavers years ago, just after she reached womanhood. The Blue Crone kept her long enough to fill her with seed and squeeze out a cub. They'd hoped to keep her as a breeder, but she escaped and returned to The Yellow Sun. Many of the older huntresses felt she was spent and useless as a warrior, but Latisha took her in, made her strong, and helped her get revenge on the Blue Crones. The pain and anger still dwells within her, fueling her rage. Latisha can see it hidden just beneath the red cloth.

Patch, with her yellow abaya and brown niqab. Her body is more round than the others thanks to some gift of birth. Her full chest and thick hips are almost impossible to hide when a strong wind takes hold of her robes. Most see her and assume she is a bed warmer or comfort woman from Market Town. They don't know she is a healer with a knack for masterful stitch-work. They don't know she is one of only a handful of Yellow Sun reavers who understand how to stretch the Mother's Milk they steal from Phalanx. Latisha knew when she offered the woman a place within her hunting party. She knew the woman was bored and eager to hunt. She knew the woman would be unable to resist attempting to treat Verlaine's condition once they'd hunted side by side and become Pride Sisters. Latisha didn't know Patch and Tick would become so fond of one another.

Bria is older than the other two. Her thin black abaya and gray niqab were common once, but many of the old hunters who wore those colors have given up the hunt. There is disdain and resentment in her eyes. Her four daughters span in age from eight summers to twenty. Old enough to be Tick's mother, Bria thinks she should lead. But Bria has never proven to The Lioness she has what it takes to be named huntress and most hunting parties won't take her because she's old and unwilling to be led. With each hunt, try as she might, Latisha finds it harder and harder to remember why she keeps Bria around.

Latisha, Tick, and Rebel reach the hot afternoon sands to a chorus of vocalization. Tick and Patch run into each other's arms, squeezing one another tightly. They nearly kiss and catch themselves, but it's too late. Latisha and Rebel might have noticed their affection before, but now Bria and Anya know too. Once they return to Pride Home, the Yellow Sun's seat of power, everyone will know. Latisha contemplates, behind her niqab while she hugs Anya and pats Bria on the back.

"Don't do this to me again," Patch says, taking Tick by the shoulders.

"I won't," Tick whispers."

Bria scowls and walks away, shaking her head.

"We were beginning to think you didn't make it," Anya says to Latisha, poking a finger through a tear in the woman's robes.

"You doubted me?"

Anya meets her eyes, trying to read her mood.

"No. I didn't doubt you, Latisha." Anya averts her eyes. "I just feared the squids might have gotten lucky."

"I am the daughter of The Lioness, yes? My destiny is to rule the pride, not die in a squid hole."

Anya bows and backs away. "You're right, Latisha. You're destined for greatness."