Challenge

The huntresses and wildcats of The Yellow Sun gather in the den of The Lioness as Akiva of Phalanx stands before the Sun Throne. Bathed in silvery moonlight, The Lioness listens to Akiva try to explain herself. The field mouse has an excuse for everything: the destruction of South Garden as well as the secret mark on her inner thigh.

It is clear that Desdemona did not bequeath her the mark. The question becomes who did? Latisha ponders this near the front of the gathered leaders of the clan. She holds Maira's chain in her hand and fights the constant urge to tug back on the metal leash. She also listens, waiting for her moment to strike.

"Show me," The Lioness demands.

A group of huntresses take hold of Akiva and expose her mark for the room to see. The women crowd in, those who had only heard of her earlier spectacle wishing to see it for themselves. A newly minted wildcat measures the mark with her fingers and compares the angles against her own. Content, the young warrior runs to the throne and whispers into the ear of The Lioness. Whatever she says intrigues Desdemona. She leans back, a smirk on her lips.

"So you do wear the mark of the wildcat." As if commanded by her mood, the clouds above block out the moon's glow, bathing her face in shadow. "This is strange to me. I have never named you wildcat, and none here would have dared do so without my permission."

Latisha's eyes are drawn to the old woman at the queen's side. She is one who would dare go behind her mother's back.

"You lack the mettle needed to be a wildcat, field mouse. You are of Phalanx, you are soft. Wildcats must stand against any challenge to The Yellow Sun, yes? Can you?"

"I challenge the wildcat!" shouts a voice from among the hunters gathered outside.

"Come," The Lioness beckons.

The crowd parts and a little figure walks proudly into the center of the den. Bria's daughter, Bianca, holds her head high and her dagger in hand. Latisha commends the girl's ambition. She was made a hunter only that afternoon and she was already making a play for wildcat. Her boldness alone proves she is worthy of her mother's place in the pack.

"I challenge the wildcat, Lioness," she says, puffing out her prepubescent chest.

"What is your name, little one?"

"Bianca, Lioness."

Desdemona studies the girl.

"You are Bria's daughter, yes? If the stories are true, you are a wildcat already."

The gathered reavers laugh. The girl's reputation precedes her.

"No, you can not challenge my little field mouse. You are far too fierce."

Bianca's proud expression falters, seeing her dreams crushed.

"Do not fear, Bianca. I see the hunter in you. Your time will come."

The huntresses and their seconds clap twice, a sign of quiet respect for the girl who would be wildcat. Bianca beams at the subtle sign of praise and salutes The Lioness with her blade. As she rushes out of the den, Rebel shouts her name and pumps her fist. Latisha is also proud of her little hunter, but her attention is dominated by the daughter of Phalanx still standing before the pride. She imagines Akiva is scared, seeing the danger all around her. It sends a jolt through Latisha from the bottoms of her feet to the strangeness between her legs.

"I challenge the wildcat!" Another voice from outside.

"Come forth," The Lioness invites.

Red Anya makes her way towards the throne as the other huntresses whisper amongst one another.