Helpless and Hopeless

They take Latisha to Wormwood, who cleans her up and checks to see if anything is broken. A fractured pinky, a swollen eye and a busted lip. It feels like her entire body is a thumb hit with a hammer. Latisha knows she looks worse than she feels because the old perverted skin-knitter makes an effort to touch her only as much as she has to. She tries to stay awake, but rest is the only relief to the throbbing pain.

She awakens draped over Rothschild's brawny shoulders.

"I can't tell if it's my imagination or your hair still stinks of Red Rock piss."

"I'm gonna kill her... after I kill you... and that fat cow." Latisha's throat feels like she's swallowed a mouthful of sand.

"I can't die, girl. The Great Mother has a terrible destiny set aside for me. I may never see The Light Bringer reborn, but I will make Phalanx rise to her true destiny."

"I don't understand anything you say."

"Understand that Bellgrave will ride against Pride Home with you as a trophy lashed to the front of her moving fortress." Rothschild adjusts Latisha's weight. "She intends to make your mother watch her slit your throat."

"I won't give her the chance."

Rothschild falls quiet as they ascend the path to the rabbit's nest. A guard opens the gate and the ex-Valkyrie dumps her on the ground.

"You've already served my purpose. Whatever happens now is The Goddess's will."

Latisha lays in a heap, pondering those words.

You've already served my purpose.

In a haze, she eventually crawls to her corner. The seedboys must have been out at one of the labor sites because she finds herself alone. Hours, minutes, days, seconds. Time loses much of its meaning as Latisha stews in her pain and hate. The numbing throb of her most recent beating leaves her spiraling. The ache fills her mind, stealing her senses. Only through small windows can other thoughts enter her consciousness. Revenge. Between that fat cow grabbing all over her and that barrel of a woman squeezing out rivulets of piss on top of her, the huntress is tormented.

Rage and hate.

Pain and revenge.

Latisha's good eye snaps open as someone pokes at her. Touch sensitive, their contact feels like a red hot poker. Vision blurry, she tries to identify the source of her torment. The shapeless silhouette could be anyone, but the voice is distinct.

"Are you okay, lioness?" Yacki asks, his voice low, just above a whisper. "Did they punish you?"

Latisha tries to speak, but it hurts.

"Good!" he snaps, slapping her across the face.

The shock of the blow radiates from her face and down her neck.

"You thought you were better than us because of these?" He grabs her breasts and pinches until she cries out. Placing his hand over her mouth, he leans in close. "Shut-up. No one wants to hear your voice."

He slaps her across the face again, his hand like fire igniting her skin. His laughter is like nails across a chalkboard. She tries to stand and he slaps her again.

"This is fun. I hope Fish hurries back, he'll want a piece of you too." he takes her by the hair and props her up in a seated position. "The masters treat you special because of your tits and your woman cave, but you have a pole just like me."

He kicks her between the legs and chuckles triumphantly. Despite the immediate pain Laitsha knows she's been kicked worse by Rebel as young cats playing around. He slaps her chest and she crosses her arms defensively. Just that simple act makes her entire body ache.