Glorious Lions

He approaches the gate with sure footing as he lugs the massive bundle of firewood across his back. It's been a grueling day. Everyday in The Bright Waste is one of trial and tribulation. According to Akemi and Dew, The Great Mother likes it this way. How else will she test the faithful to see who is worthy. He chuckles. The scriptures all speak of testing women, but he's included in that... Dimples would have been included in that too, but he's gone. Reclaimed by The Waste.

That day had been grueling too.

"See you tomorrow, Coaly," he says as he breaks away from the group of firewood foragers.

Coaly adjusts her bundle and grunts a goodbye. She's been tired lately and the callouses on her hands have started to crack. Collecting wood is how she hopes to barter for ointment from Market Town.

His abaya is a drab brown color like a laborer, but the wildcat's guarding the gates smile and slide them open. Unlike most laborers, he's allowed into the inner village. One whistles and tells him he looks good. Trunk laughs. The point of the abayas is to hide them from the eyes of the outside world. She can't see him so how does she know how he looks?

He carries the bundle to a patch of shacks where merchants trade food and water.

"Hail, Handsome," Johanna says as she ladles water into a tall tankard she claims she keeps just for him.

"Hail, Jo."

"How was it out there today?"

"Tiring, just like yesterday and the day before..."

She studies him as he removes his niqab and mops his sweaty brow with a cloth. With a lustful smirk, she hands him the tankard and he quenches his thirst.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome, handsome." She adjusts her top so that her cleavage bounces on the counter of her stall, and plays with her hair. "Have the ladies given any thought to my offer?"

He nervously looks down at his feet. "They said it's up to me."

She licks her lips. "And? What do you say to my offer?"

"I don't think I want to... at least not now– I mean, I'm not ready–"

"Calm down, handsome. It can wait," she chuckles, "I should still be fertile for a few more years yet. Maybe you'll change your mind in a few months. Maybe you'll finally let me get you drunk." The last she says under her breath.

Trunk shakes his head. Johanna has been trying to get his seed for months already, but she won't force him. It's his choice. The idea puts a smile on his face. Dimples would have liked that.

He removes wood from his bundle and places it beside her stall; she hands him a jug of clean water and a smaller bottle just for him. A gift, she says.

He picks up his bundle and takes it to Patch's skin-knitter tent. Bianca's woman, Noftee, waves as he approaches. He separates more wood from his bundle and hands it to the girl. As always, she doesn't say anything. It's probably because she doesn't have a tongue. Someone did something bad to her a long time ago. Shit people do shitty things all the time.

"Can you take that inside to Patch and Tick?" He looks at the tent flap and shudders. "I can't go in there. It's too much blood."

Noftee nods and takes the wood.

"Thank you."

He leaves. Patch and Tick will pay him later. They're pack so he can trust them.

His next stop is the public circle where Akemi and Dew preach about The Great Mother. They never have many listeners, but Trunk always stops and listens to their scripture. If no one is there, they help him practice his letters. Today they have an audience of five. After a few minutes he donates some wood to their ministry and heads home.