Once a Hunter

Every day, the same thing.

At dawn the guards march the seedboys into the rock tunnels where they join laborers in clearing out caves and erecting walls. For three hours, they add their muscle to the creation of Bellgrave's stronghold. It is how the slavers keep the seedboys in shape. They are then taken to Wormwood where they are each scrubbed clean by whichever bed warmer has angered their handler that day and then given a physical examination by the old skin-knitter.

Afterwards they are taken back to the rabbit's nest. By then, customers have placed requests for seed and the one-eyed guard, Karen, decides who will fill their quota. Some women have a specific seedboy in mind, some only care for the seed. Karen sends off those chosen for the morning task, and the others are put back in their cage. Just after the noon feeding, someone comes for Latisha and takes her to Bellgrave in chains so that the fat woman can gloat.

Every day. The same thing.

Today, Bellgrave sits on her throne to appraise new stock. Latisha stands behind the couch throne, collar and wrist chained to posts anchored in large stone cubes. The benches are full and the slavers carry on in their normal betting and jeering. Bellgrave waits as two small children bring out her goblet and a tray of desert pears. Her personal bed warmer, Aphrodite, balances on the back of the couch, playing with her master's hair while staring at Latisha.

"Would you like a piece of fruit, my pet," Bellgrave asks, her voice more cordial than normal.

Aphrodite jumps down and opens her mouth wide like a tamed waste hound.

"Not you, stupid girl," Bellgrave snaps, shoving her bed warmer off of the couch. "I'm talking to you, Latisha. Would you like a piece of fruit?"

Latisha stares at the slaver, her pulse quickening at the thought of finally killing the fat cow. She looks around for Rothschild. Much of her strength has returned, but she's not sure she's ready to fight the ex-valkyrie. Uncertainty steals her ambition. Knowing it isn't the right time, she looks at her feet and shakes her head. Desperate for her submission, Bellgrave often responds by piling humiliation on top of humiliation. For a change, Latisha gives her what she wants.

"Hmmm, all the more for me then." The cow's lips smack as she chews the slices of prickly pear.

Glad to not see the woman stuffing her mouth, Latisha contents herself with the strange tingling she often feels at the bottom of her feet. Weeks of free time has given her opportunity to focus. With effort, she awakens the tingles then wills it up to the palms of her hands. The sensation is less intense, but more tangible. It feels like she can almost hold it in the palm of her hands.

Now what do I do with it?

A sharp hiss snaps her out of meditation. Aphrodite crawls around her feet, her face a peevish scowl. She glances over her shoulder at Bellgrave then back at Latisha. The bed warmer snarls and swipes her metal claws across Latisha's calf. Crying out, Latisha drives a swift kick into Aphrodite's side. Seeing her own blood on the floor sends tingles running up her arms and across her shoulders. As she steps towards Aphrodite's whimpering form, the chains around her feel light and brittle. Breakable.

Latisha starts to see red, then gags as the chains tighten around her neck. Bellgrave pounds the arm of her couch throne and the chains grow more taught, dragging her back to her place of display. The huntress fights against it at first, but quickly the need to breathe overrides her anger. The tingle gone, she moves with the chains until she's on her knees, gasping for air.

"Did she hurt you, my pet?" Bellgrave asks, petting Aphrodite's bloody golden nails. She looks up at Latisha. "You're both my most prized possessions." She violently snaps Aphrodite's pinky back, drawing a cry from the bed warmer. "I won't let anyone hurt you but me! Do I make myself clear?"