31) Disturbing Discovery

🍁Ren🍁

I sit on my bed with my guitar resting in my lap, music sheets scattered around on either side. One for lyrics, the other for writing out the music notes. I shake my head and rake my fingers through my hair, muttering to myself. I flinch as images flash through my mind. "Stop," I whisper to myself.

It hasn't been that long since we got our licenses, minus Bakugo and Shoto. It's been pretty calm lately, but that's the problem. My mind is no longer being pulled in several directions at once. I've been scattered since our run in with the League which actually helped distract me from the hell I endured all those weeks ago.

Now that things have settled down, my brain is susceptible to the triggers I was too busy to notice before. So, I've thrown myself into my music in the hopes of drowning it out. I'm counting the days till my next session with Miss Yaeger. I scribble down a quick note in the margins about switching some of the chords for the chorus.

"You make such lovely sounds, Ren." I groan when a sharp pain enters my skull. I clutch my head, pencil still in hand, digging my fingernails into my scalp. "Damn it!" I grab my headphones and place them over my ears, playing my music as loud as I can without causing significant damage to my eardrums. I press down on them and try to drown out everything, focusing on the music.

More images flash through my mind. I jolt upright, set my guitar aside, then jump up from my bed. "Wait, wait, wait." I begin pacing my room as I mull over what I just realized. "How did he look?" I ask myself, despite not even being able to hear my own voice over my music. I try really hard to picture his face, but I was so scared at the time that I barley remember anything before... well, before he did what he did.

His voice... it sounded the same, looked exactly the same, as before. Like he hadn't changed in six years. I reach up and take my headphones off, tossing them onto my bed before racing for the door. I dash through the halls until I reach the elevator. Kirishima and Sero are downstairs with the others.

I wait until the doors slide open before stepping on, pressing the button for the lobby. I tap my thigh impatiently as I watch the number change before finally stopping. There's a ding as the doors open a second time and I get off. I rush out and look toward the couches, spotting my friends.

"Kirishima," I call casually and he glances up, grinning widely. I gesture him to come over, motioning toward Sero as well. They glance at each other before dismissing themselves from whatever it is their doing. I rub my hands together anxiously as they make their way over.

"Ren? You okay, man?" Sero asks. I shake my head. "No. I've been reliving what happened. At the mall," I add quietly and their gazes turn serious. "I realized something, and I need your help to confirm it."

"Of course."

"Yeah, we'll help anyway we can," Kirishima agrees. I swallow and try my hardest to suppress the darkest moment of that day. I'm fine. It's only memories. I'm perfectly safe. "Well, you guys saw Mr. Yukimura, so—"

"Yeah," Sero interrupts. "Kind of hard to forget that tattooed creep." Kirishima nods and I get tense. "Wait, what?" I look between the two boys. "What tattoo?" Now they're looking at me like I'm crazy.

"Uh, the giant one right on his neck."

"It's was a snake, right?" Sero guesses and Kirishima nods. "Coiled around a rose or something. I only remember it cause it was right there on his throat, kind of hard to miss." My blood ran cold when I realize what this could mean.

"W-w-what exactly did he look like to you guys." They turn to each other once again, then back to me. "Um, we couldn't really see much. He was wearing a hoodie," Kirishima recalls. "Yeah. His hair was black and a little messy, like he really needed a hair cut."