PROLOGUE

WHAT WAS THAT VOICE JUST NOW?... "Endur... Endur Samuel!" The words cloud their mind and now they forget.

The words block out something. Something important and Sister Lisa. Sister Lisa is important to them but why? They couldn't justify?

In the land of Fonde Ssique, thousands of miles across the Crystal sea from the island of Gath in an area where Elven red trees grew, Hilda and Eddipus, both pale Elve of the red Elven clan stood at the entrance to a large cave full of inner fears for their outer desires. Hilda wore a long, glittering off-the-shoulder halter gown. She had a silver diadem with moonstone gems on her head, over her long golden hair. Her short-heeled, nereid boots hardly clicked against the ground. Hilda's many rings glistened. Yet with all her magic, all her wisdom, all her equipment nothing could suppress the desire for destiny and the tremendous consternation in her heart.

Beside Eddipus was another woman. He called her Teylavere, maiden of blade. She was a warrior's blade, a sword of heroes. The claymore's pommel was square with a red ruby wedged in the center. She had a laced leather overlong grip and a golden red crossguard. The steel blade was forged by a well renown blacksmith and blessed by a certain known priestess named Hilda.

Eddipus had a broad face, dark blond hair, and strong shoulders. He wore a circlet of bronze with dark red rubies, studded hide bracers, and leather boots with buckles. He also had a brown, sleeveless roughspun tunic. He was prepared like a warrior. He had the looks most women coveted. He was strong, almost close to fearless and although he could do no wrong with Teylavere at his side, he still had a queasy feeling in his stomach.

They entered the cave together knowing that what they were doing in secret could ultimately mean their downfall. Hilda, tall and slender, walked by Eddipus's side. The cave, the Hallow. It lay in the valley and was the last stronghold of the Elves of the Red Forest. It was only symbolic that they embrace in the place where they first met. The main population of elves were magical beings that lived in the state of Southern Mountain Range in a village called Hilltop far from the Hallow. In the center of the hallow was an ancient, magical tree with a deep, open canopy above it. The tree was the first of enchanted trees and the last. It had been foretold in ancient tomes that the hanging sage fruit would heal the sick and help the injured. It was also said as long as the tree remained healthy, the Elves would live in harmonious peace with Man.

But the tree was dying. Eddipus and Hilda stepped into the center of the hollow. She looked up at the tree as Eddipus reached to grab the gnarled timber's dangling fruit. The Elves Clan Master Dante would know what was wrong with the magic tree if Eddipus could bring back a sample. Hilda was silent, and Eddipus looked down at her. "I must go to Master Dante. He'll pray'" he said. "He'll send me out. My journey calls to me, Hilda. But my heart calls to you'" he continued. "I must go alone. I must go now. I love you. I will always love you."

"Please. Let me go with you. People will ask where I am but I don't care now."

"My reflection doesn't show who I really am. If my feelings of you were to come to light we'll be killed. They'll kill you. No. You'll have to stay here."

" Take this with you, my love." Hilda unclasped her necklace dangling at her breast and pulled at it. On a silver chain was a thin, purple ribbon with a small silver cross on it.

"My Vidian, my heart will forever go with you. I've blessed it. As long as the color is bright, there's hope." She pulled out another Vidian and clasped it around her neck. "Two hearts, one love. Linked together forever. If the color in my heart dies, I'll know you've fallen in battle."

Eddipus smiled. "I want adventure... But I also want you. War in our lands will stop before it's even started. Take care of Sister Lisa while I'm gone. Once Master sends me on my way, I'll complete his task and I'll be back."

..."ENDUR... ENDUR SAMUEL!" The strange old voice echoed again. What was that voice and how was Lisa important? For whatever reason, Eddipus and Hilda needed to see Lisa safe...

Hilda pushed the ribbon against his chest as he clasped her hands. He kissed her. They had pressed and locked lips for some time before they pulled away. An ancient act was being broken. Laid out long ago, was a law that a Priestess may never be with an Elven male of the Warrior class. To break the decree was punishable by death. So, Hilda and Eddipus met in secret. The kiss wasn't defiance but pure love.

For them, the freedom to love was more important than any treasure. The fear that Hilda's father and the rest of Hilltop would find out cursed their very souls.

"I'll carry it with me. I will always be with you."

"What it would be like to be a part of your world without fear.." She replied. Hilda and Eddipus stood together. It was quiet for a moment before Eddipus reluctantly stepped away from her and went deeper into the dark depths of the shallows. Hilda turned to leave the Hallow. 'I must find Sister Lisa. I promised I'd watch over her."

Again the voice came back repeating... "Endur... ENDUR SAMUEL!"

The words forced Hilda to forget something but what? The words DISPLACED something she had been carrying... BUT WHAT?

Her stomach hurt and she felt empty. She was confused.

Hilda turned to leave but the voice lingered on her.

"Hilda..."

She thought she heard it calling. She stopped and listened intently. With each sound, she became more fogged...