Chapter 5 of Princes and Kings

Prince Vinan Caspent became bored

Prince Vinan Caspent became bored. He sat slouched. Vinan's legs crossed, and his chin rested on his fist. He was half asleep but even what little spittle dangling from the corner of his mouth looked pretty. He was man, son to King Tullious Didymus. The Westerian royal family was staying in the southern mountain range of the Red Kingdom of forest Elves.

"Come, Prince Vinan. We have a bazaar to attend." the booming voice of King Didymus spoke. Vinan snorted, sucking saliva into his mouth as he almost fell from his small silver palanquin. Most of the king and prince's trappings had been transported to the local Hilltop inn along with a few chalices, armaments, and vestments.

He fixed his black, messy curly hair and adjusted his red velvet cape. The Westerian queen, Seseh had stayed behind. She wanted to look after the castle's elegance and keep up with the guards, servants, and daily duties.

A few guardsmen had gone with the king and prince, much to young Vinan's displeasure. As soon as they felt all was well, the guards would take their leave and return to Westerian Cardamon, to the royal queen and her arms.

The king and prince had planned to stay behind for a few days of father-son bonding.

"Yes, Father," Vinan said, as he stood and walked to a big-chested man with a muscular build and a sleeveless, fur tunic. Tattoos covered his arms, his black hair ran down to the small of his back, and he sported a goatee. A small scar ran across his eyebrow.

"You are a handsome young man, Prince Vinan. You seem lost. So I'm taking you to the new Bazaar they've implemented here. I want to take you courting, son. You shouldn't feel lonely, Vinan Caspent."

"Yes, father," Vinan said, looking down.

"Chin up, son. Those dark, brown eyes will tame the wildest mouse." He laughed as Vinan smiled.

Vinan favored loyalty as well as friendship. Music was his passion. More often than not, you'd find the prince playing the lute alone in his room in Cardamon castle. He loved staring out a window, playing the song of Cardamon. It was a tune about the purple poppy that grows only in Westerian.

Vinan stood at five-ten and carried a thin, short rapier sword by his side."I apologize for my boredom, father."

They made their way from the Maiden's Cauldron Inn to the open street bazaar.

"I understand, son. You're bored with the meetings. You're bored with the nobles and this is the first time in a week I've spent with you. I was in your boots once, young Vinan"