Chapter 3: Catch Ups

"See you again, Bb!" Freen waved at me before entering her car.

She had brought me home since she was the one who had picked me up from my mom earlier.

I had a blast, but I'm exhausted today. It feels like any moment now, I'll meet the Creator. I couldn't breathe properly, and it feels like sharp objects keep stabbing me. I grasped the nearest fence and tried to take another step, but I couldn't. The pain overcame my whole body, and the last thing I remember is everything going black.

»»---------------------►

I woke up in a hospital bed, surrounded by the scent of get-well flowers. I slowly sat up, causing my mother to rush towards me and help me sit.

"Freen asked if you were already asleep, but I didn't see you go to your room, so I looked around and found you lying on the grass. You worried me, Becky." My mother cried while holding both of my hands. I could feel her tears falling onto the back of my hand.

"I'm sorry," I said.

"I didn't tell Freen what happened. I didn't want to worry her, and I know you don't want to tell her about your condition either. I told her you were asleep," she said as she wiped her tears.

I helped her dry her eyes and smiled sadly.

"I'm not dead, Mom. I still have a few months."

"The doctor said you need to undergo different therapies to extend your lifespan. Otherwise, you'll die in less than four months." She told me, her eyes welling up again. "Please, Rebecca. I'm begging you."

"Four months is enough, Mom. I don't want to be a burden to all of you. Please, respect my decision."

She nodded but started crying again.

I knew it was difficult for them to accept the decision I made, but it was better than spending all their money on my therapy only for me to still die. Mesothelioma isn't curable, and they know it.

"Mom, let's forget that I have cancer, okay? I promise I won't overexert myself, and I'll get enough rest so that I can live for these four months."

I could feel the cancer inside me slowly destroying my body, and I knew that my time in this world was limited. That's why I had to do the things I wanted to do, so that I wouldn't have any regrets.

The next day, my mother did everything she could to persuade the doctor to let me leave the hospital. They respected my decision, but some nurses were worried, saying that I might change my mind.

"Freen texted me. She said there are dramas lining up for her and she needs your suggestions. Can you go?" Mom asked, and I nodded without hesitation. "I'll call her once we're home. Does that sound good?"

"Great. I can't wait to see her again."

My mom rolled her eyes at my excitement. She knew that I liked Freen, and she unconditionally supported me. Last night, she told me that Freen had called and asked if she could come to our house, but my mom said we were busy and suggested the next day instead. Freen shouldn't know that I was in the hospital. Knowing her, she would worry too much.

"Yes, Freen. We're already home. Are you going to pick up Becky?"

I listened to my mom's phone call with Freen, so she nudged me a bit to give her space since we were standing too close to each other.

"I'll be there in five minutes."

As soon as I heard Freen's response, I immediately ran to my bedroom to get ready. My mom couldn't stop laughing when she saw me panicking while looking for my pretty dresses.

"Calm down, Becca. They're still inside your luggage. I didn't unpack them yesterday because I thought you wouldn't want me to touch your things." She pointed to the luggage under my king-size bed.

"Thanks, Mom. You're the best." I kissed her cheek before retrieving the luggage.

"I know. I'll be downstairs. Make sure to come down in five minutes. Don't keep your crush waiting." Mom teased before closing the door.

"Such a tease, Mom," I whispered as I opened the luggage.

After trying on four pink dresses, I decided to wear a white Kate Moss t-shirt paired with pleated jeans to keep my outfit simple. I covered my shirt with a cropped denim jacket when I realized that Freen's house is cold, like being inside a refrigerator. She hates warm temperatures.

"I'm ready." I grabbed my puffer bag and went downstairs.

I saw Freen in the living room, sitting on the sofa and talking to my mom. They kept nodding, but I couldn't hear their conversation from a distance. As I got closer, Freen smiled at me and pointed at my jeans.

Does she like them?

My mom walked towards me and whispered, "Your fly is open."

My face turned red, and I immediately turned around to fix it. Damn it. That was so embarrassing.

Freen chuckled and snaked her hand around my waist. I hadn't heard her approaching us.

"Let's go. We still have a lot of catching up to do." Freen winked at me and waved at my mom before pulling me outside our house.