1 | Neon Nike's and Chocolate Muffins

"What do you mean?" I asked, my voice laced with disbelief. "You're the one who wanted to try couples therapy."

"I didn't think you'd actually go out and book six sessions." Jenna huffed. "I said it rhetorically."

"How was I to know you were being rhetorical?"

"People our age don't go to therapy, like, duh!" she complained, lips pursing in barely contained frustration

Well, I'll admit she was right. We were barely nineteen.

"It's not like we're some old married couple," Jenna continued. "You are so out of it."

A waiter skidded to our table and Jenna waved him away before I could look up. I caught a glance of a pair of neon Nike's as they slid away, moving across the polished floor as if they were trying to skate.

Jenna droned on for a while about how clueless I was. "I just cannot believe you, Clemmy," she finally whined.

I hated when she called me that.

"And my water glass is almost empty," she exclaimed. "Where's a waiter when you need one?"

She angrily waved back the waiter she had dismissed earlier, complaining all the while about the lack of service.

Jenna continued her explanation on why I was stupid for booking six non-refundable therapy sessions. She gave the list in the form of bullets, counting them off on her fingers as she articulated her points with gusto.

I looked up at the waiter in apology as he poured her water. The first thing I noticed about him was his smirk.

Or grin, rather. He was grinning widely, a slight overbite pushing into full lips. A shock of curly, black hair framed his tanned face, which held a small nose and wide-set eyes. They seemed too large for his face, with irises dark enough to swallow his pupils whole. The fairly delicate features were offset by a square chin over a prominent Adams apple, giving his face a subtle hint of masculinity.

The boy seemed to be taking great entertainment from the situation as Jenna continued her spiel. I made eye contact with him, his starry eyes twinkling and crinkling at the corners.

I could tell he was trying hard not to laugh.

"Clem, I think we need to break up," Jenna stated.

Clem. Another name I hated being called. Wait, what was that other thing?

"It's just not working out, Clemmy-tine," she added. "You're so serious all the time. You take everything seriously!"

I think 'Clemmy-tine' is by far my least favourite.

"It's because I'm serious about you, Jenna," I finally said, feeling exhausted. Speaking to her always seemed to exhaust me.

"Well it's not like we're going to be together forever, Clem, we're still young." She patted my arm reassuringly. "I'm sure you'll find a girl someday who would really love going to therapy with you."

I frowned. The waiter almost snorted. Oh right, he was still here.

"That's not really the point—" I started.

"You WILL, Clemmy, I just know it!" Jenna stood up and leaned over the table, dramatically slamming her palm against my chest. "You have a good heart and you will find love someday. It just won't be with me."

And with that, she flounced out of the cafe, officially ending our three year relationship. The waiter burst out laughing.

Rude.