25 | House on Fire

I walked into Everett's kitchen the next day to find him painstakingly using a wooden spoon to squish hard chunks of butter into a pan full of sugar.

"Uhh, what are you doing babe?" I asked from the doorway, a good few feet away from him.

"The butter is so hard." He sighed. "I forgot to leave it out, and now it's not mixing with the sugar properly."

"But what happened to your mixer...and the mixing bowl?" 

"Oh they're there," Everett spun towards me and pointed at the sink with his spoon in one fluid moment. A moment so fluid that the spoon's contents flew in a neat little arc before splattering on my shirt. My own fault for not standing far enough away.

"Oops, sorry." He grinned, not looking sorry at all.

I shot him a glare as I peeked in the sink. "Just wash the electric mixer and use it, it'll still be faster than hitting that block with a spoon."

"No, I've already committed." Everett went back to slamming the spoon against the frozen butter. "Maybe if I use my hands...."

"Let it melt a bit on the fire," I suggested hurriedly as I moved towards him and turned on the stove.

"Hey that's a much better idea." Everett happily tossed his spoon aside. "Clementine, you make everything so much butter."

I stared at him, aghast. "Did you just say butter?"

"Yes, you're my butter half." Everett grinned, slipping his arms around my waist. "You really churn me on."

"That's horrible. Please stop."

He laughed, pushing me lightly against the counter and capturing my lips in his own. He tasted sweet. My mind blurred almost enough to let me forget that my new boyfriend was apparently a pun person. Almost.

"I didn't know you liked puns," I grumbled as he moved to kiss my cheek, "I would've never...dated you."

"Aww, you love me," he murmured against my ear. His tongue flicked out for a moment, teasingly grazing against the shell.

I flushed deeply, turning away as heat crawled up my neck to the ear that he had just licked. His arms were still around me, circling my waist and holding me close between him and the countertop. His lips moved to my crimson neck, causing even more blood to rush to my pulse.

"Huh, uh. Unfortunately," I managed to get out, my voice feeble and cracking—completely not the offhand vibe I was going for.

I felt him smile against my throat at my try-hard attitude. "I love you too," he whispered, moving his lips back up to mine.

My eyelids fluttered shut of their own accord as my lips parted. His hold on me tightened, pulling my body flush against him. His hands slipped under my T-shirt, the direct contact making my skin heat up wherever he touched me.

My hands moved down his body, running down his chest till they gripped his hips on either side, my fingers slipping into the belt loops of his light blue Levis. Twisting myself, I pushed him till it was his back to the counter.

Everett leaned back against it, his arms moving to my shoulders to steady himself as I lifted him onto the countertop. Grabbing my face, he kissed me fiercely, fingers lost in my hair and legs wrapping around my waist.

My heart rate quickened as tinkling bells rang in my mind. So loud and incessant my head almost exploded. I breathed in his familiar caramel scent, mixed lightly with the faint smell of smoke.

Some part of my Everett-addled mind noticed the ashy scent and I forced myself to pull away from him. Now that we weren't in contact anymore, I realized those tinkling bells I thought I imagined were actually the chirp of the fire alarm going off over the burning stove.

"Oh shit!" Everett yelled, jumping down from the countertop.

"Uh...water!" I stupidly said as we both rushed towards the pan.

Everett turned on the tap and flapped his arms over the sink, trying to spray some water in the general vicinity of the stove. A few droplets landed on the pan and immediately sizzled in the immense heat.

I grabbed the mixing bowl that had been filling up in the sink and upturned the whole thing onto the stovetop. Melted butter and burnt sugar flooded the floor, floating in a sea of soapy water. Everett silently reached past me and turned off the gas knob.

A faint sound left my throat as I gazed at the horrible scene in front of us, light-headed and numb. The once-red pan had blackened to a crisp, its plastic handles melted off and splattered like gray goo on the table. The burnt butter and sugar had congealed with the dirty sink water to create a murky liquid of varying viscosity. It accomodated several sickly shades of colour, which included a barf-like yellow where there were blobs of butter. Brown rivulets ran down the side of the counter, dripping onto the floor in loose clumps, which in turn seeped into the spaces between the tiles. It formed a long stream all the way to the other end of the kitchen.

Everett's fingers interlocked with my own. The starry eyes that stared into mine were wild, terrified, and shadowed with dread. "My mom is going to kill me—"

The door burst open at that very moment and the ominous silhouette of his birthgiver sailed into the room. She took one look at the ruined countertop, the mess on the floor, and then at our contrite downturned faces.

Her mouth fell open in surprise and her eyes filled with horror before narrowing into punishing slits.

"Oh you are both in so much trouble."

Like if you were feeling such anxiety  throughout the whole kiss scene cause the stove was still on xP

Like if you were feeling such anxiety throughout the whole kiss scene cause the stove was still on xP

And comment what their punishment should be xD

I'll be writing the next chapter on them being punished by being made to clean the kitchen and also the garage probably, or whatever else y'all like would like them to clean, maybe the whole house :D