35 | The Mandatory Fairground Date In Every Wattpad Book

A/n: y'all, I have a confession to make. I had actually forgotten that I was morally obligated to write a fairground date chapter, I mean what was a thinking? This is a romance novel after all—Duh!

But luckily, one of you kind readers reminded me of my duties to make these two ride the Ferris wheel xD

This one's for you Pixel! ❤️

P.S: Got a reader request of your own? Just drop a comment right here ;D

______________

The fairground was bustling with a small crowd, a sense of excitement hanging in the air. Jaunty music played from little overhead speakers, livening the place up. Tons of little stalls were set up everywhere, some to buy snacks from and some to play fair games. In the center of it all was a Ferris wheel—not very big but it easily stood out.

"...this place is so fun, Clementine," Everett was saying. "I haven't been to a fair in forever."

"Ahh...me too."

My mind was elsewhere. I still hadn't gotten anywhere near to making things official. At least, not enough to be able to introduce Everett to Jamie as my boyfriend without blushing. She still annoyed me about it everyday.

"...so many flavours of candy floss." Everett's voice drifted into my thoughts.

"You wanna get some candy floss?"

"Yeah! And then we can eat it while riding the Ferris wheel!" Everett stared at rows of rainbow coloured balls of fluff. "There are too many flavours to pick from though."

"They have cans with a layer of each flavour." I nodded towards the small plastic buckets, reading the label. "Raspberry, citrus, lemon, green apple, blueberry, grape." Each colour was layered one of top of the other to make a rainbow.

"We can't eat out of a can, Clementine." Everett sounded disgusted with the idea. "It goes against the very notion of candy floss. Can you even call it that, when there's no floss getting in your nose and making your whole face sticky? That's like eating ice cream from a cup."

"I hope it doesn't get in your nose if we're going to share," I muttered. But I bought one of each flavour anyway. Six huge balls of cotton candy—on sticks like how Everett wanted.

He went slack jawed as I handed him three of them. Each were as big as his head. "I didn't mean we needed to buy six of the big ones," he said faintly.

I shrugged. "Now you don't have to pick a flavour."

"B-but—"

"C'mon, you can eat them on the Ferris wheel."

I led the way to the entrance and Everett trailed behind me, dazed. The queue was luckily not very long, and we were soon sitting inside one of the passenger cars. We lifted off into the air, the fairground shrinking beneath us.

"Oh! Let's play fair games after this." Everett pointed with a ball of blue candy floss. We had a bird's-eye view to where rows and rows of stuffed animals lined the makeshift walls.

"You just want all those plushies," I accused.

"I bet we can win every game." Everett's eyes had gone dreamy. "There are like fifty different plushies."

"I'd be surprised if we win even one," I grumbled. "Those things are always rigged."

"If you played every game—like a few times each—you're bound to win at least one plushie," Everett argued. "It's statistics, Clementine."

"It would be cheaper to just...buy a plushie."

"But where's the fun in that?"

Just as the words left Everett's mouth, a horrible grating sound filled the air. The Ferris wheel slowed down to a halt, a high pitched screech painfully ripping out of it. With a creak of finality, the Ferris wheel used the last of its momentum to pull us to the very top.

Then there was silence. And then we were stuck.

"Cool!" Everett exclaimed.

"Coo- what do you mean cool?!" I squeaked, peeping over the side of the cart. The spokes of the wheel stood still and silent, the only sounds being that of groans of the other passengers.

"Hey folks, nothing to worry about." The technician stepped out of their booth, sheepishly holding up their arms. "Just a minor technical issue, we'll be up and running in no time."

Displeased grumbling filled the air. Everyone seemed irritated except Everett, who was waving around his candy floss with the most pleased expression on his face.

"We got stuck right on the top," he said. "It's the best place to get stuck."

"Is it?" I peered down again, feeling a bit green in the face. The ground seemed very far away.

"It's basically prolonging the ride." Everett paused. He glanced at me. "Wait, are you afraid of heights?"

"I don't have a problem with heights."

Everett leaned close, holding up his sticks of candy floss against mine and creating a rainbow coloured barrier between us and the world. "Are you okay?"

"I don't...hate it. I just don't like it," I admitted. "Well I don't like being stuck at a height. I don't mind planes or tall buildings or whatever."

"What about jumping off a plane with a parachute, you wouldn't be stuck at a height then."

"Yeah, I would definitely be moving—but I don't like that for different reasons."

"We can pretend we're sitting at a table and eating candy floss. See, if you hold it up like this it's big enough to block out everything else."

It did block out everything else. All I could see was Everett through a rainbow coloured haze.

"I guess we should start with raspberry and work our way down to grape," Everett mumbled.

I glanced over to see that his mouth was already full of raspberry. So was the rest of his face. He had clearly not been sticking to his plan of eating each flavour one after the other, as multicoloured sugar stuck to his cheeks and eyelashes. Some of them were colours we didn't even have. I couldn't imagine how he had managed it.

Everett ended up eating five sticks of candy floss while I was still working my way through one. Although, to be fair, I'm sure most of the sugar ended up on his face. I was watching the patchwork of colours on his cheeks expand and multiply so intently, that I didn't notice the time go by. And soon enough, the Ferris wheel started moving again.