5 | Faking Allergies and Losing At Therapy

We were about half done with the banana bread now...banana cake? I don't know what strange concoction is going to come from this.

I was carefully slicing bananas while Everett was chopping them up into horribly misshapen pieces.

"We can't use those to decorate the top, Everett, they look terrible," I said in dismay.

"Ouch, rude. It doesn't matter how it looks, dude, it's going to taste the same."

"Don't you want to sell these at the cafe? I think more people would want to buy it if it looks nice," I pointed out. "They're not going to know how good it tastes until after they buy it."

"Hmm...alright, you might have a point there," he admitted. "I guess I've already ruined the last few bananas though."

"We could try something...."

I used my forefinger and the side of a knife to carefully place the cut banana at the base of the tray, molding and pressing the lumps as I worked. It eventually made some type of geometric pattern with floral shapes over the thin mixture of butter and brown sugar.

"Woah that's amazing," Everett gasped, peering over my shoulder.

I hadn't realized how close he was, but as soon as I felt his proximity my body started to heat up. I could almost feel his long lashes fluttering against my cheek. It sent shivers up and down my spine. His face was so close that I could feel every exhalation, warm against my neck.

He was breathing rather loudly actually, ignoring my personal space and breathing all over my cake. It was kind of annoying. Yes, annoying, I told myself, that's what it actually was. I grabbed onto the minor feeling of irritation and focused on it until my heart rate went back to normal.

I finished the rest of the decorating much more slowly than my initial pace. Well, it was distracting with that weirdo breathing down my neck! I finally put down the knife and stepped away from him in some relief. I mean, all relief, just relief of course, not like...disappointment or anything.

Everett still leaned over the tray, exclaiming over the pattern. "It's so cool, man," he gushed. "Where'd you learn to do that?"

"It's not perfect," I muttered. "It's a little messy really."

My hand had slipped more than a few times while he was pressed up against me. I felt hot again just thinking about it. I'm surprised I managed not to cut myself.

"Are you kidding, it's amazing!" He looked up at me. "Shit mate, are you okay?"

"What? Yeah." I tried not to panic as his stupidly gorgeous eyes searched my exposed face; my thoughts were probably on full display. I tried to arrange it into a blank expression.

"I think your allergies are acting up again, you're all red." His brows drew together in worry and I probably grew even redder. "What's happening? There are no flowers here."

"It's uh—" Shit. I racked my brains on what to say. "The window's open." Was all I could come up with.

"Ohh, sorry about that." Everett hurriedly banged it shut, knocking over a small window-sill potted plant in the process. "I didn't realize your allergies were that serious."

"Um...it comes and goes," I lamely said. They weren't really that serious. I indicated the bowl, changing the subject. "Anyway, uh, we should probably start beating this now."

"Oh no, YOU beat it." Everett pointed at me determinedly. "There's raw egg in there, and you lost the bet."

"What's wrong with the egg?" I asked, staring in confusion at the two eggs I had cracked. They looked innocent enough.