Chapter 2: Brothers

I wake up to find myself in my cramped little closet, curled up in a ball. Its a Saturday, so at least I can hole up in my room for the entirety of the day. As I exit my closet, I pause and take a look in my mirror. I hate what I see staring back at me. Dull blue eyes, and dirty blonde hair. Dirty, just like me I think, recalling the incidents of last night. I examine myself closer, pinching and prodding at my injuries. There is a bruise stretching up the entirety of my forearm, an ugly purple black color. The same goes for my ribs, which seem to be getting worse, not better after being kicked in the stomach a couple days ago. They are shadowed in a wretched purplish red, hues of yellow marking the worst of the pain. I sigh and pull my shirt down, downing a couple of paracetamol from my bedside table. These should last me for the rest of the day. I grab the bottle and frown, looking at its contents. Its almost empty, with only 2 pills remaining. I decide not to save them, and swallow the remainder of the bottle before tossing it in the trash. Welp, there goes my plans of staying home. I need to go buy myself some more medicine, I don't know how else I'll survive.

I dig around my backpack until I find a 20, and stuff the cash into my hoodie. Opening my door quietly as possible, I peek my head out cautiously, looking for signs of Trevor. I look around for a second before deeming it safe to come out, tentatively walking down stairs and out the door. I let out a sigh of relief when I finally make it outside, the crisp autumn air filling my senses. Trevor must be at work, so I'll have to be home before he gets back.

The walk to the pharmacy is usually relatively quick, but it takes longer than usual due to the pain I'm in. I force a smile as I finish paying for my painkillers, and try not to grimace as I walk down the steps out the door.  Quickly checking the time, my eyes must look like they're popping out of my head. Shoot, shoot, shoot! It's already 3'pm! Trevor comes home at 3:15!

I flip the hood of my hoodie up and try to jog as fast as I can towards home. Great, just great. I haven't even made it a block when it starts to rain. Not just a little drizzle either, big fat drops start plopping down on my clothing. I attempt to sprint, and make it home just in time, gasping from fatigue. I check my watch, 3:11, good. I made it. I bend over, placing my hands on my knees, heaving air into my body. I don't care how much it hurts my ribs, I'm to out of breath.

I'm about to walk inside, when I feel a hand grasp onto my shoulder. I immediately flinch, and step away. Was he home already? Whats going to happen, I don't want to die!

"Hey, hey, honey, take a deep breath. It's okay." A voice says from behind me. Wait a second, that doesn't sound like Trevor. I turn around to find a police officer, her hand now rubbing soothing circles on my back.

"Oh honey, I bet you were worried sick when you couldn't find your stepfather this morning. You are Serafina Blackwell, yes?" She says, sounding genuinely concerned. I give a small nod, my back still rigid from her hand. "Come, sweetheart." The officer says, guiding me toward her car. 

I pause. What, why was she doing this? Where was I going? I guess the officer notices my hesitation, because she grabs my hand and gives me a sad smile. "Just come with me honey, I will explain everything in the car." 

I nod, and let her take me. I didn't know what she was about to say, but if I had known what was coming at that time, I probably would have run away in fear. However, I didn't, so I went into the car gladly, happy to have shelter from the rain. Little did I know that what I was about to find out would change my life forever.

---------------------

"I'm so sorry you have to hear this from me." She says, pulling into the police station. I don't say anything, I can't. I just sit in the back of the car staring forwards. Trevor was gone. For good. What probably should feel like sadness feels instead like, hope? Maybe I can finally live a better life! I immediately take back my thought. No, this is the life I deserve. I'm a murderer, I killed mom. I deserve to be in pain for the rest of my life.

The officer opens the door, shaking me out of my tragic thoughts. "The city will now be handing you over to your brothers." She says. "Your eldest brother, Vincent Romano, will now be your legal guardian." 

I barely process any of her words through the voices in my head. I have brothers. I have family? My last name isn't actually Blackwell? What about my friends? Scratch that, I don't have any. My mind is racing, and everything is a blur. 

That is all the information I am given before I am whisked away from my old life, and thrust into my new one. 

We stop by the house to pick up my few possessions; my clothes, books, and my old stuffed penguin, Eloise. Glancing back at the house one final time, I'm all to happy to happy to be leaving. It contains to many memories, and not the good kind. Before I know it, I have left everything behind, and am now on my way to meet my brothers.

-------------

After a very long plane ride I find myself in the car with my brothers private driver, making my way to my new home. His name is Jackson, and he wears fancy white gloves as he drives. I think they are cool, and decide I want to buy a pair for myself. As the car comes to a stop in front of my new home, I don't know what I expected, but it was definitely not this. My eyes widen as I take in the house. It's creamy white color, modern, and framed with large windows that let in large amounts of sunlight. 

I reluctantly step out of the car, going to grab my bags from the trunk.

"Miss, it's ok, I've got it." I spin around to see Jackson, lifting my pack with his shiny white gloves. I feel a warm feeling spread through me at his kind deed, and I can't help but smile in his direction. Is this what kindness is like? Is this what it feels like for someone to do something nice for you?

"T- thank you, Jackson." I manage to say shyly, grabbing my bag. I walk up the steps to the ginormous front door, ringing the doorbell. I wait for a minute, but when nobody answers I decide to ask Jackson for help. Turning around, I look for the sleek black car, but find nothing but pavement. Lovely, just lovely. I'm all alone. I sit on my bag and stare at my dead phone, really wishing I hadn't used all my battery on the plane. I would call one of my brothers, but beside the fact that my phone was dead, I didn't have any of there numbers, nonetheless, there names. I sigh, and decide that I will just wait. Suddenly, a crack of thunder fills the air, and rain starts pouring down. I cross my arms around my body pathetically and sigh. I sigh a lot. This was just my luck. The doors overhang does little to protect me from the whipping winds and pouring rain, so I just sit there, shivering and hoping somebody will come home.