Chapter 4: Shopping

After dinner, I brush my teeth before hopping into my bed. So far my brothers seem nice, besides Kayden and Ryker that is. Elijah and Colton seemed fine enough. It's hard for me to fall asleep,  as my ribs and wrist hurt from Trevor's last beating. Even in death he still manages to haunt me. Sighing, I close my eyes and pull the covers up to my chin; my stuffed penguin - Eloise - is snuggling with me.  Whenever Trevor beat me or I din't feel good, I would just give Eloise a squeeze and she would make me feel better. I've had her since birth, and she's probably one of my oldest possessions. I squeeze Eloise now, trying to erase the pain coursing throughout my body - it helps, it always does. It's not long before I'm turned on my side, lightly snoring in deep slumber.

----------------

When I wake up, I forget where I am for a moment. Warm sunlight greets me and I even notice the fresh vase of hydrangeas that sit on my bedside table - a nice touch from my brothers. I gotta say, flowers really are the way to a girls heart. I get ready for the day, quickly showering and prepping before getting dressed and heading downstairs. It takes me a minute, but I manage to navigate my way in our supremely large house and down to the kitchen for breakfast.

"G-good morning." I mumble, walking in shyly.

"Sera! We are so happy you could join us." Elijah beams from the table.

I blush bright red. All of my brothers are present, besides Vince of course, staring right at me as I stand there awkwardly. My stomach grumbles, and I take that as my cue to sit down. I take the empty seat next to Elijah, and look at the feast in front of me. I take a slice of bread and slide on some peanut and honey. Trevor never really fed me much, so food wasn't exactly my strong spot. As it was, he never fed me breakfast, so this is more than I usually eat. 

"We try to have as many family meals as possible." Elijah explains as I quietly nibble on my bread. 

"Yeah but that never works out." Colton says, "Because Vince is always to busy working to come."

"Who's always to busy working?" A voice says, stepping into the kitchen.

Colton shuts up, and Ryker and Kayden stop their banter. Even Elijah's welcoming facade turns more serious. I don't even need to guess who this is. Vincent Romano, my eldest brother. His piercing gaze turns towards my direction, and I hold back a gulp at his intimidating aura. Despite the fact that all my brothers are tall, he is the tallest, standing at least 6'5. He's wearing a crisp navy blue suit complete with a grayish-black trench coat and watch at his wrist that looks like it cost more than myself.

"Serafina." He says, in a deep clear voice. He looks the same as the rest of my brothers, tall and muscular with deep blue eyes - they're a family trait, I guess.

"How are you feeling?" He asks. His eyes feel like they're piercing my soul, and he subtly glances down at his gold wristwatch.

Come on Sera, don't waste his time. He's obviously working, and from the looks of it, is successful. Very, very successful.  My driver told me that Vince was the head of the family business. When I asked for the details all I got was a vague response and an "It's private."

"I-I'm good." I mutter wistfully. The attention of all five pairs off my brothers eyes on me makes me shrink back into my seat.

"I have some work to get done this morning, however come to my office this afternoon to discuss some ground rules."

I nod. 

"Serafina, I'd like it if you gave me a verbal response when you're answering me or any of your brothers." He says, tightening his tie.

I nod again at his comment. Stupid, stupid Sera. "I-I mean yes, sorry."

Vince's eyes meet mine before he looks towards Elijah and says something to him, walking out of the room.