Chapter 5: Rules

Vince's office is laid behind two large mahogany doors in another one of the unexplored hallways my new home contains. Raising my hand to knock, I hear a voice from inside.

"Come in, Sera."

I hesitate. How did Vince know I was right there? 

Inside, his office looks like one of a typical rich businessman; A head to toe bookshelf lays on one side of the room, with an ornate and intricate fireplace on the other. Next to it is a small lounge area with a few expensive armchairs, looking perfect and untouched. Sitting perfectly between these two walls is Vince's desk. Poised as always, he looks like the epitome of class and luxury as he is situated in front of large window which frames only a potion of our humongous backyard.

I gulp nervously as he gestures towards the chair directly facing him. Did I do something? Am I in troub-

"You're not in trouble, Serafina, don't worry."

I let out a mental sigh of relief.

"I just wanted to review some of my rules and expectations as your legal guardian."

Rules? I'm a straight A student, I have no friends, and boys barely even know I exist - rules are my best friend, if you couldn't tell. Finally, something I could impress my brothers with.

"First off, we expect straight A's from you Serafina. I saw your last report card and I expect your grades to be at the highest standards. I know you are an exceptionally bright student, and this year should be no different. You are now enrolled at St. Phillips Academy, the private school that Caden and Colton attend. "

Straight A's - easy, no problemo.

 "I would assume this one is a given, but no boys. This falls into the same category as drugs, parties and alcohol, understand?" Vince's voice stays calm as he says this, but the severity lacing his tone makes me nod almost immediately in response.

"This leads me into my third rule, which is verbal response."

I gulp. I've always been on the quieter side. 

"I need to make sure that you can clearly understand what I'm saying to you - by giving me a verbal response it clarifies this. It also makes sure you are paying attention, and commanding my respect."

I almost give Vince a nod in response, but catch myself. "Okay," I mumble.

"My fourth rule; respect. Listen to your brothers. No swearing or backtalk, or you will be punished, is that clear?"

Flashbacks of broken bottles and cigarette burns grace my mind and freeze me in terror. "Y-yes." I choke out, my knuckles turning white from how hard I'm gripping the chair. If Vince notices my uncomfort, he doesn't say anything. 

"This leads me to my fifth and final rule - no going up to the third floor. That floor is strictly for your brothers and I. It's used to help run the family business, and I don't want you up there. You have no need to get involved. I take this rule very seriously."

"W-whats the family business?" It's a genuine question. Everyone always talks about, yet I have no idea what it is.

"Just some security and tech company." He says smoothly, standing up from his chair. "How was shopping with Ryker?"

"It was good. Thank you so much by the way, I'm so grateful for everything."

Vince gives me a curt nod as he walks me towards the door. "Of course, that's what family is for."

 Just as I'm exiting, Vince lingers in the doorway for a moment, "Just remember Serafina, you can tell us anything."

It was a nice gesture, but I don't think I'm going to be talking to Kayden or Ryker about my Step-Daddy issues anytime soon. I laugh at the thought. Speaking of, it's amazing how Trevor still manages to haunt me despite his death. My ribs ache with every step I take, and with no more meds to numb the pain, I'm in constant agony.

-------------------------

All throughout dinner, my body hurts. Although Lorena had cooked a delicious Coq au Vin that tasted like absolute heaven, I could barely get through one piece of the mouth watering chicken before feeling full.  

"May I please be excused?" I ask timidly. I'm full, sore, and tired. All I want is to jump into my bed and sleep forever.

"You've barely touched your chicken." Colton states, glancing over at my almost full plate. 

I give a weak smile and shrug. 

"Colton's right bambina, you need to eat a little more," says Elijah.

I stare down at my food and a wave of nausea passes through me. I hate it. I hate not being able to eat this delicious dinner because of Trevor. I hate barely being able to eat anything. I take a deep breath and then half hardheartedly start making my way through another small piece of chicken.

I was so unused to eating three full meals a day that at the end of dinner I find myself rushing over to the nearest bathroom, hauling what was left of my chicken remains into the toilet.

Tears are dripping down my face, and my eyes are red and swollen. I look like an absolute disaster. I run from the bathroom to my bedroom as quick as possible, somehow avoiding the ever watching eyes of my brothers. I  take the quickest shower in history before brushing my teeth and jumping into bed. I curl in a ball and try to sleep, ignoring the dull aches of pain that rack my body.