Chapter 6: Sneaky

"You're worthless." Trevor says, smacking me across the face. "All I wanted was some lunch, and you had to burn it."  

"I'm sorry," I whimper, edging over to the corner of the kitchen. I shrink towards the walls, wishing I could melt into them. Unfortunately, for me, wishes never came true. Trevor stalks over towards me, belt in one hand, alcohol in the other. 

I am 12, and have recently started going through puberty. It's the little things - I had gotten couple inches taller, and my waist is cinched in little around my torso - things that Trevor hadn't failed to notice. 

"You've grown so beautiful, Sera. You start to look more and more like your mother everyday." 

My visions is cloudy. At one point, everything goes black. I feel a dull ache between my thighs and my hands tremble as Trevor snakes a hand around my neck.

Drunken hands. Pants at the knees. A training bra on the floor. No, no, no, no, please. Please, PLEASE!

--------------

I shoot out of bed, sweat dripping down my forehead, tears coating my cheeks. I have been getting nightmares like this since I was 9, but they've gotten worse recently. Almost as if Trevor is coming back to haunt me from his death. 

I check my clock - 3:04AM - at least I actually slept for 5 hours straight tonight. I fall back into bed, trying to get comfortable, but my injuries keep aching more and more. The thudding fills my head and pain consumes me. My shoulder has slowly healed since Trevors death, but my ribs and wrist if anything seem to look worse. Almost my entire midriff is a molted purple and blue color, with splotches of yellow and brown. My left forearm has a ring of purple around it. Both hurt to put even the slightest pressure on.

I look hopelessly all around my room for some paracetamol, but to no avail. I'm shorthanded, and my ribs and wrist hurt like hell. After tossing and turning in an unsuccessful attempt to get comfortable, I decided to go downstairs. Kaden has had stitches in his hand since the day I arrived - how he got them I have yet to ask - and I've seen him taking some painkillers in a drawer downstairs.

I climb out of bed and pull on my slippers, praying that no one see's me.

--------------

Downstairs, everything is dark and I have to use my phone flashlight to navigate the still foreign hallways. It's an old model that used to be Trevors, but I've managed to keep it in good condition since it's all I've got. 

Once I'm in the kitchen, I carefully start opening random drawers; I forget which one I saw the pills in. There's just so many, goddamnit. After many tries, I finally get it. I pop not one, not two, but three pills into my mouth, hoping it's more than enough. 

I close the drawer and start walking back down towards the stairs. Just as I'm about to pass the living room, I see two figures standing outside on the balcony, unaware of my presence. They're both tall and strong.  One is more on the lanky side, wearing nothing but a pair of grey sweatpants; Colton. The other is a little taller and more built, in a pair of flannels and a hoodie; Kaden. He hasn't spoken a word to me since the day I arrived. It's not like I've really gotten close with any of my brothers, but at least they've talked to me like a human being. Every time I walk by Kaden he just brushes by me as if I don't exist.

 I decide to sneak past them, hoping they don't notice my presence. They'd probably think I was snooping around. I try my best to be like the characters in spy movies, using only my tiptoes to walk. I considered crawling on my hands and knees, but I think that would just attract more attention. Just as I'm a foot away from passing their field of view, Kaden whips around and meets my eyes. Fuck. I debate running, but decide to play the nonchalant game, and just stand nervously as my two older brothers walk up to me at approximately 3:30AM.

They tower over my 5'3 frame, causing me to take a step back. I gulp, they don't look to happy. 

"What are you doing up at this hour?" Colton says, looking just a tad bit concerned. 

I pause for a moment. "Oh, you know, just..." I pause. "Just getting a glass of water." 

Kaden stares at me with piercing blue eyes. They're the same color as my own. "She's lying." He grits out, stepping closer. "Tell us the truth. Right now."

I nervously look at the floor. "Can I just go to bed?" I mumble, fiddling with my fingers. I'm wearing one of my fancy new PJ sets that I got with Ryker, and it seems fit for a princess. I don't feel like a princess though. Princesses are brave. Suddenly it hits me - my pajama set is short sleeve. The bruise on my wrist. I place my hands behind my back, praying they won't notice. 

Colton sighs, and waves his hand towards the exit as if to dismiss me, and I quickly begin to walk back to the stairs. 

"Hold on." Kaden says, making me stop in my tracks. "What. Is. That." His voice is suddenly low. I shut my eyes tight, as I already know what it's going to be about.  He grabs my wrist, shoving it aggressively towards Colton. The ugly purple bruise shines dangerously in the moonlight. 

"I'm clumsy." I chirp, attempting to pull away from Kadens grasp. 

He grip turns tighter, and a wave of heat hits me. "YOUR LYING." He shouts, not letting go of my arm. "Serafina, tell us the fucking truth or I will make you ." He says, pulling me closer. 

I flinch. My hand instinctively flys up over my face, and I try to make myself as small as possible. "Please, sir." I say, expecting to be sent to the ground at any moment. 

Kadens hand drops from my wrist. I don't hesitate before flying up the stairs and into my room, momentarily relieved when I don't hear footsteps behind me. 

Shit, shit, shit. What have I just done. No, no, no. Why would I do that. I've ruined it. I've ruined everything.