Chapter 13: Fragile

They remember enjoying painting.

They were never good at it on a canvas. But they recall looking in the mirror and wondering if they could use their own face instead of paper. Make themself beautiful.

They tried, but they stopped. They remembered what would happen should their brush slip.

If they panicked for just a moment.

Fire.

So instead, they found that porcelain doll.

They painted over the crack across its cheek. They made it pretty again with a few fresh coats and watched the paint set.

But no matter how much paint covered it, they could still see that thin line. It still chipped and cracked.

It was still there.

Avinalyn opens their eyes to stare at the ceiling of their room in silence. In the dark. And they needn't turn their head to know that they are alone. They know Ven well enough to know that she never stays the whole night.

They're grateful for this. For all her help, Ven is often too much for them to deal with. Too controlling. Possessive.

They know that she's probably already on her way to Narvadin. She's been itching to go home since she got here. They suppose they can't blame her for her hatred of the cold since Narvadin is easily the hottest of the continents.

But for them personally, they don't mind the cold. They don't mind snow. To them, it's a natural work of art. The sparkle of every snowflake as it falls softly to your hand. The somehow innocent nature of it. Like rain that got too cold so it became softer.

They glance at the clock across the room. It's hard to see from here since it's out of range of the light from the fireplace, but they can see through the gaps in the red drapes that it's bright outside.

With a low sigh, they roll over and close their eyes again.

There's no rush to go anywhere. They're perfectly content staying here.

A gruff voice clears their throat across the room.

The sound was loud and sudden and Avinalyn's eyes snap open and their hands flare up with a fiery glow that catches their soft black pillow. They gasp and hurry to get out of bed and they're unable to do anything before they see, from across the room, Mog sprints over and jumps into the bed to start literally beating the fire out with her fists.

"Fuck! Fuck! Sorry! I didn't realize you were sleeping! And you're—" Mog stops to look over at them and she tilts her head. "Why're you naked?"

Avinalyn sighs and retrieves their robe to pull it on and secure it before they turn back to face Mog with a sharp glare. "What are you doing here?" they rumble. "I told you our business is concluded. I can handle the rest."

Mog clears her throat and slowly gets out of their bed, giving their pillow one loving pat as she stands up and crosses her arms. "But... From what it sounds like, you lost Reela," she shrugs. "I... could help you find her again, 'mayhaps'? Is that a word?"

"I know where she is," Avinalyn says slowly and walks over to the fireplace to retrieve a wine bottle and a glass from the end table and they pour themself a drink. "I have no more need of a mercenary. And if I did, I would need one more discreet. An orc running around Letroseli looks suspicious."

Mog scratches the back of her head and tiptoes over to them, but keeps her distance as they take a drink from their glass. "Um... Could I get somma that?" she asks and points at the wine bottle.