Chapter 29: Read the Room

After dunking her head in cold water to at least somewhat sober herself up, Reela asked Panele if she knows of any place nearby called 'Esh Outpost,' and she was pointed east, further into the mountainous forest beyond the city limit. She gathered her things and set out to see what waits for her at the outpost.

She's honestly too tired to think too much on what might be there and who gave her the note. It could've been Taanys, maybe someone else who overheard her asking about Adaste. Or who knows, maybe it's some random asshole wanting to prank her.

Who fucking knows. And honestly, she doesn't care. It's something to do. Corb and Todo have been gone for a couple hours now, and now that it's almost midnight, going to this mysterious meeting is better than sitting around worrying about the possibility of her friends fucking dying up in that mountain.

She also takes this opportunity to let Toya run around a bit without being afraid of her getting stomped by a centaur. Watching the little fox run through the trees and along logs and rocks makes her smile, and for just a moment, Reela lets herself pretend she's a little girl again - no doubt thanks to the slight inebriation - on an adventure in the forest outside of Sage with Toya and no one else. Just endless possibilities for adventure under an infinite sky in a world larger than she'd ever know.

She never wanted to find the end of that forest. If she never found it, it would never end until the moment Cree came looking for her and brought her home.

She looks back on those memories fondly, because if she caught him in a good mood, they wouldn't go home right away. He'd join her on her adventure and teach her things about tracking and camping, and once they got so lost in their adventure that Regan had to hunt them down. She remembers Cree pouting like a child as he begrudgingly went along until Regan pulled him in his arms, and Cree smiled.

Neither of them were ever mad at her for venturing out. Regan worried a lot, of course. But she's pretty sure Cree would always reassure him that she'd be fine.

That and he'd probably have Achilles follow her in case she fucking died.

"Hey, space-cadet. Is that the place up ahead?" Toya asks and Reela snaps back to the present to see the fox stopped on a pile of rocks, looking down the valley to see that along the cliff face is a path leading to a cave in the side of the mountain.

Reela shrugs. "I guess it must be. Haven't seen anything else out this way," she says quietly and starts walking towards the cave with Toya following behind apprehensively. She doesn't look away from the cave the closer she gets, and maybe it's the bit of alcohol still in her system, but she can't help but smile at her earlier feeling of adventure lingering in her heart.

"Careful, Reela. Remember, this could be an ambush. Maybe I should scout ahead," Toya calls after her, but Reela merely shrugs and keeps walking.

"I'm sure it's fine. If not, I kick some ass then head back to the tavern," she says and starts walking along the path carved into the mountain face. Toya follows closely until she catches up with Reela to jump up and climb onto her shoulders, sitting atop her backpack.

Reela carefully enters the cave, peeking around the corner to see that further in the cavernous opening that holds in the center a wooden outpost lit up with torchlight, and a door that leads into the shelter. With a determined smile, she walks towards the door.

She hesitates for a moment, having to remind herself that Toya is right and that this could very well be an ambush. She needs to focus in case of a fight. She steels her mind before she knocks on the door.

She waits for a moment, when she hears muffled whispers inside followed by footsteps approaching the door.

"Name?" comes the voice Reela recognizes as Taanys.