Chapter 34: Brothers

For Nesosa, the price was fear. She was afraid of giving her life for something greater than herself, and in the end, she let go of that fear and gave herself the redemption she would have never received had she been the one to walk away that day in the Divine Temple.

Her life was her price of honor.

She gave, and fate took.

And Todo decided to worship her because of it.

Corb wanted to feel the same way, but the harder he tried, the more he realized that it would be impossible for him to ever see Nesosa as anything but the reason Corb felt like he had to grow up alone. Todo wanted to be just like her.

So Corb learned to hate both of them.

The blade of the greatsword arcs through the air, aimed squarely at Todo's head. Todo reacts with a gasp as he desperately raises his shield to block the strike. The impact staggers him, causing his wounded shoulder to throb with searing pain. He stumbles backward, his grip on the shield wavering under the weight of the blow.

Todo shakes his head vigorously, forcing himself to regain his composure. His vision blurs momentarily, partly from the physical strain and partly from the overwhelming surge of emotions coursing through his veins. Locking eyes with Corb, Todo braces himself for the next hit.

Corb grits his teeth and lunges forward, driven by an unforgiving hatred as he takes another strike at his brother.

Todo swiftly turns and ducks out of the way of his brother's oncoming attack. With a surge of adrenaline, he darts back down the stairs, desperately seeking to put some distance between himself and Corb. Every beat of his heart pulses the throbbing pain in his chest and shoulder.

His hands tremble uncontrollably, betraying the force of his terror. It's a mix of fear, confusion, and disbelief that floods his senses and further pushes that inherent need to give in and fight back. He still refuses to believe that Corb wants to kill him. There's no way his own brother hates him that much. They've had their differences, and Corb may be right in that Todo hasn't always been the best brother, but to want him dead is too far.

Though they have had their ups and downs, Todo clings to the belief that everything they've been through together means more than how they've drifted apart. Siblings fight. For centaurs especially, those fights are often violent. But maybe that's what caused this. Todo has always held back from physical violence in the past, so Corb was never given the chance to express his anger towards him through actions before. Maybe he's taking this as a golden opportunity.

So maybe Todo should indulge him.

Corb's fury flares in his eyes as he follows Todo, every move driven by a burning desire for vengeance. Todo's reflexes barely have time to react, his instincts kicking in to utilize his magic instead of the shield in his hand. In a desperate attempt to keep his brother at bay, he summons a gust of wind that propels Corb backward, momentarily disorienting him with the dust picking up in the whirlwind.

Growling his spite, Corb shields his eyes from the gust against his forearm, his grip on the sword unyielding. Todo backs up, his mind racing for a strategy to slow Corb down once the wind subsides. His gaze scans the chamber, seeking anything he can possibly exploit from his surroundings. The flickering lanterns and hanging moss adorning the walls catch his attention. The proximity of this part of the ruin to the outside means the mountain air and mist seep into the crevices of the stone.

Acting quickly, Todo releases the gust of wind and pivots towards the wall. With a swift motion, he draws forth streams of dew from the moss and cracks, freezing it in mid-air. Without pause, he pulls a flame from the nearest lantern, throwing it at the layer of ice. The collision creates an explosive burst, coating Corb's face in a blinding cloud of powdered ice.