Chapter 3 pt 1. Memories

After a few weeks of working together with Purah and Robbie, Sage was able to get to know them better and understand their complex personalities. Purah often asked Sage for help on testing out new upgrades on the Sheikah Slate runes. She gained basic knowledge on the use of Stasis, Magnesis, Cryonis, and Remote Bombs without the Sheikah Slate thanks to Robbie's work on Zelda's little guardian. She's had to use Stasis multiple times because of Purah getting too close to monsters... Robbie sometimes talked with her about her fighting style and tactics, sometimes asking for specific questions and demonstrations. Sage wondered for which of the many projects would he use this information for.

Sage was now on her weekend break. She decided to visit the new local Noble Canteen. The owner, Furosa, had opened up a franchise of her business near the outskirts of Hyrule Castle Town. Even though it is a Gerudo business, men were allowed entry. The Noble Canteen featured all of the traditional Gerudo drinks as well as traditional foods. A stage was also set up for any kind of performance. Sage visited as often as she could, not only to order a Noble Pursuit, but because the ambiance was familiar to her. 

She sat at the bar sipping on her Noble Pursuit lost in thought, when a vaguely familiar voice reached her ears.

"I'd recognize that mess of curly hair anywhere!" she heard. Sage perked up as she searched for the owner of the voice. Her eyes landed on a smiling figure to whom she gazed at before her eyes widened in recognition. "Meya, it's been so long!" Sage exclaimed as she stood up to hug her. Meya was one of the members of her father's band.

"Holy shit, you've grown so much!" she expressed as she took note of Sage's height. Last time Meya had seen Sage was when Ezin, Sage's father, passed away. Sage was only three years old. Now seeing her as a fully formed woman shocked her to the core.

"You haven't changed a bit!" Sage responded to Meya. "Awwww now you're just being nice." Meya said.

Meya sat down next to Sage at the bar and ordered a drink. She observed Sage carefully as for her, Sage had changed drastically. She took notice of her clothes and jewelry. She looked like she fit perfectly in this Gerudo atmosphere.

"You're wearing Gerudo clothing. Is that where you've been all this time? How's Lorren?"

Sage's heart dropped at the question. She took a long swig at her drink and sighed in melancholy. Sage had lost contact with the band when her mother passed away. Her mother, Lorren, did not have the chance to tell them they had moved to Gerudo Town.

"She died... a long time ago." Sage responded without knowing how better else to phrase it.

Meya froze mid-sip of her drink and looked at Sage with a frown. "It was... like a week or two after my dad died. Mom decided to move to Gerudo Town where she thought I would be safer. But... we were attacked in the desert by the Yiga clan. Mom told me to run without looking back. I was able to alert the Gerudo, but it was too late. They found her lifeless body on the sand. No wounds."

"Goddess..." Meya said, furrowing her eyebrows as she finished her drink.

"The Gerudo took me in after that. Lady Urbosa raised me like if I was her own and turned me into what I am proud to be today. I sadly had no way of telling you guys any of this at the time."

"Holy shit, you were only three..." Meya said as she wiped a tear before it fell. "Losing both your parents like that. I can't even begin to imagine. How did you manage to cope?" she said while shaking her head. Sage shrugged, "I guess, Lady Urbosa became the mother figure I needed. She let me have a funeral for my mom, allowed me to mourn her, then picked up my pieces and reshaped me into what I am now. I would have never made it if not for her. I owe her my life."