Chapter 9

A stranger calls to me with the same thing over and over. His voice is so sharp, deadlier than the blade of a knife. It's creating wounds so deep that my very soul bleeds.

"Help me," he says. He was crouching on the ground with his hand covering his head. He's pitiful because of the desperation and helplessness that's oozing out of his pores. He's a shadow of a man he once must have been.

"Help me!" he exclaims louder. I try to move but my feet wouldn't let me. I look down to find that they are cement to the ground. I struggle to get out but it would not let me go.

"I can't! I'm stuck!" I try to explain to him. I kneel to the ground, reaching my hand out but he is too far away. I will my body to stretch, to get to him although my effort is futile.

Help me!" he repeats louder than the last. His hand drops from his head, revealing a bullet hole right in the middle. It terrifies me but I did not look away. The longer I stare, the hole keeps getting bigger and bigger. I can almost make out the objects behind him. I look away but it is too late. The image is engrave in my memory forever.

"Stop!" I scream. "Please!" I am begging him for mercy from this horror.

"You didn't help me! Why?" he asks with a tone of accusation. There was anger in his voice and it was gravely disturbing. I feel the familiar burn in my eyes as it starts to water. I let out a painful groan. It pains me to think I fail him and it's a burden I can't handle. I look up, wanting it to be different this time. He is now laying down on the ground at a dark alley. I can smell the garbage stink polluting the air. His own blood covers him as it pools all around. It starts to form a river, heading in my direction. I try to run but the ground have a vise hold on my feet. I weep loudly. I am realizing now that I am just as pitiful as him. I am so desperate and helpless, no longer the same person as before.

I awoke with a terrified scream. Luca was hovering over me, his gripped on my shoulder, shaking it gently with as much of his strength allowed. I couldn't make out his expression in the dark but when he spoke, he sounded concern.

"Wake up Angel."

"I'm awake," I responded as I tried to catch my breath. I immediately wrapped my arms around him. I needed someone to assuage the feeling of dread the nightmare brought forth. He hugged back, squeezing me tight, I could hardly breathe. It didn't help that his weight was on top of mine.

"You're alright, my Angel," he said soothingly. He rolled over on his back, bringing me along, half my body on top of him. My head softly laid on his bare chest. He kissed the top of my head filled with reassurance of safety he promised earlier. The warmth spread all over down to my toes, chasing all of my fears away. He may be part of the reason for my misery but he was currently the only source of comfort I had.

"His eyes haunts me the most," I said as quiet tears ran its course. "Please Luca, tell me the truth. It's killing me that I can't tell anyone and you pretend as if it's not real. Then, you give this cryptic warnings and threats. You're completely dismissing my feelings. I hate this and I hate feeling out of the loop." His rocking motion stopped. It took him a while to speak, maybe to give himself time to think over what I just said.

"I don't want to scare you away." I felt one of his arm raised, running its fingers through his hair. "I don't know if you can accept me if you find out the real me."

"Please tell me. I need to know." There was a pregnant pause again.

"The man Abele shot, if you look it up, it never happened. He bought a plane ticket heading to South America to retire. His family won't look for him. You will never hear him on the news and there won't be an investigation by the authorities."

"How? A...and....why did the man have to die?"

"Listen to what I'm saying. Knowing the truth won't make a difference. If you tell anyone especially the police, you're risking the safety of your friends for nothing."

"You won't tell me then?"

"No."

"I want to quit. I can leave tomorrow. I can't work for you knowing all of these." Luca took a deep breathe. I wasn't sure if he was in pain or just calming himself.

"I won't allow it. You're staying with me for a long time if I have anything to say about it."

"And if I leave?"

"I will kill your friends, one by one, till you come back." I gasped in shocked, pushing myself away. However, he pulled me back, trapping me in his arms.

"I believe you and I hate you," I said as more tears flowed from my eyes.

"I told you I'm not a good man, Angel. I don't need you to like me. I just want you to stay by my side."

"To make sure I don't blab I'm sure."

"That's a reason."

"Please Luca. You have to tell me something." Once again, there was a moment of silent before he spoke.

"How about this? Go to sleep for now. Spend the day with me when you wake in the morning and we will talk. I don't know if I can tell you what you want to hear but I can explain a few things." I nodded my head. It was not much but it was a something.

A/N: I think this part could use improvement. If you have great ideas and suggestions, let me know. :)