Chapter 13

*Betty's story*

A boy crouched underneath the table, often inhabited one at a time, except for when banquets were held, creating an illusion of togetherness. In secrecy, unbeknownst to the two individual who didn't want him to hear, to see or to know, he observed. It was a room away but the loudness echoed, vibrating in the air, setting a foul mood that catches. It lingered in time, engraving its mark at the back of the mind, whispering corruptions to consciousness. Soon, it would shape the future, help build a man and destroy a bond that was not meant to be forsaken.

"You don't know anything Rose!" shouted a man. It was followed by glasses shattering that later the boy would confirm were bottles of liquor. "I'm trying to get out! I don't want it either!" This time, the boy saw a bottle hitting a wall from the sound the glasses made as it bounced and land on the floor.

"I didn't know. The things needed to be done, the lines that were cross. They are all sickening! And for what? For the family that we have no relation by blood. For the business!"

"Soon Rose! Soon! I have a business I'm starting, it's legal. It's a way out," the man said pleadingly, convincing the woman as well as himself.

"But the damage is done, it can't be forgotten," the woman said quietly, the boy straining to hear.

"Damn it!" More glasses broke yet the anger and frustration grew.

"You're naive or ignorant, my loving husband. You think there is no price for it. It's a loan his giving you. You know that something must give...or someone! Can you sacrifice so that your hands can be clean?!"

"I hate him! I hate him my love. It's why I need you more than ever. Don't turn to this. It does not just numb the pain, it blocks the world." Footsteps could be heard, with it the pitter-pattering created from the wasted liquid and heels of the man's shoes. It was the consequence of the storm that came. The magnitude of its damage was far beyond the boy could comprehend.

"I know my loving husband. Hate is easy. I know because it's what makes me want to numb."

"I love you more than life itself. You must stop."

"If only it was easy."

Two months later....

In events that reminded people of mortality, most would keep to wear all black. Still, a few would be seen wearing white or dark colours. However, for this funeral, not a single guest wore white or any colour. Even the dead had black on and was encase in a black coffin.

"I'm sorry for your lost." It was all the people said to the man with a harsh face. Bloodshot eyes that shed tears behind closed doors. Prominent eye bags evident of many sleepless nights. Pale complexion, looking like a man drained of the colour of life. It was an indication he closed everyone out, build a wall not even his own son could penetrate. It told everyone that a little boy didn't lost just one parent.

The boy stared at the coffin. He wanted to see her face but he was too short. So, he stayed in his place, sitting in a chair, surrounded by everyone and no one. He picked up the word suicide, whispered by the guest behind him. At his right, a man told him, the woman in the coffin would travel to heaven. It would have been reassuring, if not for the pity in his eyes. He wanted to cry but he didn't want to lose face. The person the man hated was sitting to the boy's left. He told the boy, a man don't cry and he will be soon.

The boy would fill in a position of power much too early, forcing him to grow up too soon. He would be introduce to the parts of the world the light had cast its shadow. He would see too much darkness and evil at such a tender age, a transitional time. It would be a learning experience that would make not only a man out of him but a force to be reckon with.

After four months...

"Where are you taking him this time father?!" the man asked. It was the first since the funeral the boy had heard from him.

"What's the matter, huh? It can't be because you need more funds? I heard the new business was doing well," said the man holding the boy's left hand.

"Don't belittle it. At least, it's legal."

"Is that what you wanted to say, coming out of your office?"

"No." The man glanced at the boy, carefully, avoiding direct eye contact. However, the boy looked right at his, searching for someone he once knew.

"Don't worry so much. Me and the boy, we're bonding. I'm teaching him a few things I never had the chance to teach you," the man to the boy's left said with a smile thought to be reserved for conmen. "You should be proud. He learns fast and well."

"He will be just like you," the man said with sorrow. It was as if, he lost not just his wife.

"Maybe more."

"Maybe worst."

A/N: Ummnn.... Chapter 5, I mentioned, Luca was the son of Moretti Corps CEO. Chapter 12, he mentioned about his grandfather and the business. It ended with Betty telling Angela she was gonna tell her a story about Luca and his family. So, this is the story!! I'm sorry for any confusion.