𝙨𝙞𝙭𝙩𝙮 𝙩𝙝𝙧𝙚𝙚.

─☼☼☼─

-TEN MONTHS EARLIER-

𝙌𝙐𝙄𝙀𝙏 𝙈𝙐𝙎𝙄𝘾 𝙁𝙇𝙊𝘼𝙏𝙀𝘿 through Tannyhill, the crackling of the lit fireplace accompanying the ballad of Silent Night.

"Pass the potatoes." Wheezie requested, holding out her hands as her father passed the bowl down the table.

"This is delicious, Rose." Charlotte complimented, gesturing to the Christmas dinner that crowded her plate.

Rose waved her off, "I didn't do much. The housekeeper helped me with most of it before she left."

Sarah rose her brows slightly as she stabbed at one of the peas on her plate. Charlotte was forced to conceal the smile that threatened to overtake her features.

"So, Charlotte. How was Christmas morning with your family?" Ward wondered, taking a sip of the glass of wine in front of him.

A genuine smile came to Charlotte's face as she nodded. "It was great." She answered, telling the truth. Christmas morning at the Carrera house was always a dream...something Charlotte would never miss. Her and Kiara never argued on Christmas, no matter the different walks of life the two sisters were currently in.

"How was everything here?" She wondered, already knowing the answer considering Rafe had called her the minute he could this morning.

Ward smiled slightly, stealing a glance at his three children. "It was nice."

To the outside eye, the Camerons were the all American, picture perfect family. But to Charlotte, they were a mere group of people who lived under the same roof. Half of the time, they barely spoke to one another. Charlotte had spent entire weekends at Tanny Hill, in which the most she saw Rafe speak to one of his family members was to order Sarah or Wheezie out of the home theatre when he wanted to use it, or to mutter a brief goodbye to his father when he and Charlotte went out.

It was peculiar to her. All of it.

The Carreras were not perfect, not by any means. But at least they liked each other.

Today in the Cameron house was different, though.

There wasn't the heaviness hanging in the air like there usually was. Today they actually all got along─for the most part.

"Char," Wheezie mumbled, setting down her fork. "Do my Christmas cracker with me?"

Smiling, Charlotte grabbed a hold of the other end of the cracker, giving it a firm tug. Wheezie won, and a triumphant smile came to her face as she looked inside to see the small prize she had won.

"Okay, now me!" Sarah announced from across the table from Charlotte. "Dad, come on."

Ward regarded her for a moment with amused hesitation, before finally agreeing. Charlotte couldn't help but let out a small laugh as he yanked as hard as he could, effectively beating his daughter at her own Christmas cracker.

A small smile touched at Rafe's lips as he turned to his girlfriend, his brows raised as he held out his cracker.

Soon enough, all of the Christmas crackers had been pulled, the horrible jokes from within them read, and the paper crowns placed atop everyone's heads at Wheezie's request. It was quite the sight to see.